Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham run out winners against Seghill
Your News Seaham run out winners against Seghill

Seaham put the previous weeks disappointments behind them as they looked to put the record straight at home against Seghill. Seaham knew their visitors wouldnt be a soft touch; having run league leaders Houghton so close in their last outing.

The game got off to an energetic start as both packs tried to subdue the other by keeping the play tight and initiating multiple phases of pick and drive. Seghill were first on the scoreboard after 6 minutes when their scrum half unleashed his backs in Seahams 22. Their inside centre put a clever grubber kick behind the home defence and won the chase to touch down for a 5-0 lead.

Dynamic flanker Mark Wilson levelled matters three minutes later following a rolling maul that took the Seaham pack to the verge of the Seghill line. Play broke down but was recycled cleverly by scrum half Grant Dixon and a perfectly weighted popped pass saw Wilson over the line. Fly half Dave Davison added the conversion and the hosts took a 7-5 lead.

With the wind at their backs, the Harbour pack looked to dominate proceedings and bullied their way upfield deep into the visitors territory with some energy-sapping rolling mauls. Their pressure paid off when Dave Davison slotted a brace of penalties midway through the half to stretch the lead to 13-5.

Seaham maintained territorial advantage, in spite of several sporadic counter attacks by their visitors, and kept piling the pressure on the Northumbrians. Their efforts earned a penalty in the 33rd minute but Dave Davisons effort was blown to the left of the posts by the wind and the visitors breathed a sigh of relief.

The hosts werent about to let their visitors off the hook as they looked to build a significant lead. They set up camp in the Seghill 22 and put tremendous pressure on their line. They were denied their second try a minute before the interval when a ruck was set up by Stuart Barrass on the line. However, the hosts loose head prop killed the ball and saw yellow for his sins. Seaham opted for a scrum from the ensuing penalty and shunted their adversaries over their own line but referee Mark West blew up when it collapsed then signalled for the interval.

Half Time: SEAHAM (13) Seghill (5)

Although they were a man down, Seghill came flying out of the blocks in the early stages of the second half as they looked to take the game to their hosts. Not only did they manage to stifle Seahams offensive efforts, they actually registered a score of their own when they took a tapped penalty and their flanker crossed for their second try of the day. The added conversion brought them within a point at 13-12.

Seaham resumed the attack from the kick off and worked the touchline well with Ben Bell and Michael Bland totally dominating the lineout and stifling the visitors of any quality forward possession. Their dominance enabled the half backs to kick the ball into touch almost at will with the confidence that they would retain possession from the lineout turnovers.

It was a lineout turnover 10 metres from Seghills line that led to Seahams second try on 52 minutes when flanker Ben Bell leaped magnificently and stole the catch. His fellow forwards then set up a devastating rolling maul and prop Paul Scott added the finishing touch as he drove over to touch down for his third try of the season. The conversion was narrowly missed by Davison but the lead was stretched to 18-12.

Seghill looked to claw their way back into the game going into the final quarter, and in the past they may well have succeeded as Seaham ran out of steam. However, the Johnny Whiteheads men proved their mettle and exhibited some sterling defence with skipper John Dixon, fellow centre Stu Tisseman and Kelvin Bowdrey tackling like demons. Full back Graeme Steel also stood rock solid in defence and safely cleared his lines on numerous occasions.

After absorbing so much pressure, the hosts put the game to bed in the 77th minute when some clever interplay between Brad Green, Andrew Baxter and the rest of the Harbour pack led to Ben Bell crossing the line for his first try of the season. Again, the conversion was missed by Davison from a difficult angle but at least his side were more than a score ahead at 23-12.

Seaham went all out to notch a fourth try and earn a bonus point in the dying stages. However, their brave efforts proved in vain as the visitors defended tremendously. Nevertheless, the hosts were happy with the four league points from a fine victory and will now look to take their winning momentum to South Shields next weekend as they look to overcome bogey side, South Tyneside College.

Full Time: SEAHAM (23) Seghill (12)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching