Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Fylde maintain 100% record at Morley
Your News Fylde maintain 100% record at Morley

Fylde maintained their 100% winning record this season when they scrapped their way to a 25-14 win at Morley in National Two (North). This wasn't a display of cavalier open running as in the last 30 minutes against Hoppers last Saturday at the Woodlands. Rather, it was more a gritty and determined arm wrestle against very committed opponents.

Morley, still to open their account with a win since promotion to National Two (North) this season, began the game in the most definitive way. Fylde attacked through their backs on nine minutes but lost possession in midfield. Morley took due advantage and their backs and forwards combined to send in lock John Stannard for the try. Winger Charlie Spon-Smith converted and his side had a 7-0 lead.

Fylde's loose game was ambitious but error strewn. In another attack a Morley defender once more turned over possession and scrum-half Sean Dadswell scored the Yorkshire side's second try. Spon-Smith converted and Morley had a quite unexpected 14-0 lead.

It was time for Fylde to dig in and repair this substantial damage. The visiting pack was gradually exercising more control and started to dominate possession. From a scrummage near the Morley line after 25 minutes the forwards edged forward and skipper and no 8 Sam Beaumont claimed the pushover try. Mike Waywell's attempted conversion drifted wide but at least Fylde had reduced the deficit to 5-14.

Three minutes later referee Matt Daubney sinbinned scrum-half Dadswell and this was to prove crucial. Fylde took due advantage. Once again they pressurised the Morley scrummage and won a couple of penalties before the referee lost patience and awarded a penalty try. Waywell converted and Fylde were back in contention at 12-14 down.

After 35 minutes another period of forward dominance ended with lock Paul Arnold being driven over for his second try of the season and a 17-14 lead. This was the score at half-time.

The opening 20 minutes of the 2nd half was very scrappy as Morley tried to get their noses in front again. On 68 minutes amid the generally undistinguished midfield play Fylde injected some quality into the game. Scrum-half Craig Aikman burst through the Morley defence and sent winger Nick Royle into the corner for a fine bounus point winning try. Waywell's attempted conversion again went wide but he made up for it a couple minutes later when he concluded the scoring with a successful penalty kick and a 25-14 lead.

The Fylde pack put in a hard working and determined performance whilst amongst the backs Stephen Briers had a useful debut in the centre.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching