Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hull Ionians 13 - Fylde 34
Your News Hull Ionians 13 - Fylde 34

Fylde played the first half into a slight breeze and a couple of soft penalties gave Hull the chance of 3 points which they took however this was the only time Hull had the lead. They had however started off brightly and with Fylde losing influential Johnny Roddam after 10 minutes it looked like it could be a very tough afternoon. Dan Madden stepped into prop and had strong game, solid in the scrum and excellent around the pitch, Tom Lavelle threw in and the lineout functioned well with only a few hiccups.

Fyldes pack began to get into their stride with new signing Paul Arnold giving Fylde go forward ball and setting up a platform for the rest of the team to play. With the backs still gelling it was up to the forwards to score the points, strong kicking from Mike Waywell and some turnovers forced in midfield from Rick Kenyon ensured a healthy supply of possession and territory. After a penalty in response to Hulls to even the scores, Captain Sam Beaumont rumbled over for the clubs first league try of the season after plenty of pressure including Craig Aikman being held up over the line.

Dan Waller then sprinted 40 metres under the posts after a turnover, showing hes not slowed down since he last played for the first team by ghosting round the Hull fullback.

Pete Altham, who had an excellent game continuing on from his form last season, then burrowed over after strong carries in the pack from Arnold, Beaumont and McGinnis. Faultless conversion kicking from Waywell gave Fylde a commanding 24-3 lead.

Straight from the restart Hull answered back forcing a knock on 30 metres out and outmanoeuvring the Fylde backs from the scrum to create space and a smart try. 24-8 to Fylde.

The last play off the half resulted in red cards for Grant Ferguson and Hulls second row after a small scuffle broke out, what would usually have been a yellow card for each player surprisingly resulted in reds, it was hoped that the extra space provided by 14 a side would work to Fyldes advantage.

It did to some extent, with 2 tries the first bringing a deserved bonus point. Both came from first phase with the backs starting to click and finishing smartly. A strong Waywell break from a scrum who had looked lively all game was continued by the athletic Josh Beaumont whose pace almost took him away from the cover but he sensibly found Craig Aikman who duly finished it off.

The next try came from a lineout, a set move saw Kenyon put Oli Brennand through a hole and he drew the Full Back and put Waller in the corner for his second, who was now showing his versatility and finishing ability by playing on the wing.

Hull replied with a pushover try to leave the scores at 34-13, the game closed out in disappointing style for both sides with Hull failing to threaten the Fylde line and Fylde not adding to their tally after the hard work they had put in the first 60 minutes to grind Hull down.

All in all a very positive 5 point win against a tough side to travel to, with new signings and returning players fitting in well and cherishing Fyldes style of play.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching