Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > De La Salle 12 - Hutton 46
Your News De La Salle 12 - Hutton 46

Hutton produced one of their best displays of the season to ruin De La Salles unbeaten record and become the first team to defeat the champions this season. The result lifted Hutton into third position in the table and maintains their excellent recent run of form.

With the side missing several players, Hutton arrived in Salford with the minimum 15, but from the outset showed their intent to play running rugby. An early spell of possession could not breach the home defence but a close range penalty from Adam Wood meant the visitors came away with something for their early efforts. Minutes later and the lead was extended. From the restart, Hutton kept the ball alive and Tom Bailey fed Wood into space. The centre showed great pace to run clear of the defence and cross the try line for the first try of the game which was converted. With a 10-0 advantage, Hutton did not sit back and looked to attack whenever possible. The forwards were enjoying success with the rolling maul, and were held up short on a couple of occasions. With Hutton in control of the game, the home side began to lose their discipline and a number of reckless instances at the breakdown saw De La Salle reduced to 14 men. Minutes later, ill-discipline resulted in a second forward being shown a yellow card. The visitors could not capitalise on their numerical advantage, but werent to be denied minutes later. From a lineout on half way, the ball was cleaned up at the tail by Bailey who set off on a surging run. The covering defence could not hold the number 8 who dived over for an excellent solo try. With their quota fully restored, De La Salle applied late pressure on the Hutton line and were rewarded when they crossed from close range to leave the scoreline at 17-7 at the break.

De la Salle began the second half as they finished the first, looking to dominate the game up front. Their early pressure was not rewarded and Hutton were able to clear their lines and make progress towards half way. A well worked team effort resulted in Hutton scoring their third try of the afternoon. After winning ball on the right flank, it was spun to the opposite wing where Michael Gordon was held up short, but good recycling allowed the ball to move through a number of hands and into right wing Mark Worrall who dived into the corner. Wood added the conversion off the bar to extend the lead. Hutton threatened another try but had to settle for a penalty instead to take the score up to 27-7. With the scars of battle already beginning to show, Hutton maintained their discipline and Wood crossed for his second try of the afternoon following good support play by Kev Strange. De la Salle took advantage of some sloppiness in midfield to cross for their second score of the game but the comeback stopped there as Wood sauntered over for his hat-trick minutes later and then added a fourth try from the restart, after more great running from Bailey. De La Salle lost their heads and were reduced to 14 men once again, but this time the guilty forward was shown red for throwing a punch after the try had been scored. With tensions running high, Hutton again had to be alert, and again showed great temperament to close out the game.

This was a fantastic performance against the leagues best side that deservedly won the title, but just showed what this Hutton team is capable of producing.

Tries: A. Wood 4, T. Bailey, M. Worrall

Conv: A. Wood 5

Pens: A. Wood 2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching