Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Ashton Under Lyne 5 - Hutton 27
Your News Ashton Under Lyne 5 - Hutton 27

Hutton rounded off an unbeaten month with their fifth successive win against a spirited Ashton-under-Lyne side. After a closely fought encounter earlier in the season, Hutton knew they had to be at their best and produced a good all-round performance to run in four tries.

Hutton made one change from the side that beat Birchfield the week before with Brian Harris replacing Tom Bailey. The visitors played up the hill in the first half and into a strong breeze, which Ashton used to their advantage in the early stages. Huttons defence was tested in the opening minutes as Ashton kicked into the corner to force play inside the 22. An early penalty was missed by Ashton and Hutton used this let off to clear their lines and launch their first attacks. Good handling by the backline created a chance for Hutton but the break was halted by a knock on. And a turnover in midfield allowed Hutton to break clear once again but the covering defence caught up and stopped the attack. Huttons forwards began to take a hold in the game, winning good ball at the lineout and a succession of drives took the visitors inside the Ashton 22. A penalty kick into the corner set up a 5m lineout and the resulting drive saw Ross Horton dive over to open the scoring. Ashton responded well and took the game inside the Hutton half but came away empty handed after two unsuccessful penalty attempts. Huttons superior power up front came to the fore once again after another lineout in Ashton territory. The forwards rolled to the line and this time it was number 8 Kev Strange who was on hand to cross the try line. The 10-0 advantage should have been increased further in the closing minutes but Hutton failed to make the most of well worked chances.

The opening minutes of the second half were dominated by the home side as they looked to register an early score. Huttons defence held firm during a five minute spell inside their own 22 and after forcing a turnover, they cleared and regrouped on halfway. Hutton started to play some flowing rugby with backs and forwards combining well to take the ball inside the Ashton half. After securing good ball on the right wing, Hutton spread the moved into midfield and an offload from Sam Biggs put Adam Wood under the posts for the third try of the afternoon. Hutton were enjoying their best spell of the game, with the team eager to pick up the loose ball and turn defence into attack. A break by Mark Worrall should have resulted in the next try of the game but the final pass drifted into touch. From the resulting lineout, Hutton applied further pressure and a penalty reversal in front of the posts presented Andy Tobutt with an easy three points to take Huttons lead to 20-0. The visitors didnt have to wait too long for the fourth try, and after winning ball on the left flank, it was spun to centre Wood who showed good footwork to evade the defence and score under the posts. Tobutt added the extras for a 27-0 advantage. Hutton could, and should have, extended their lead further but were left to rue a couple of unforced errors in the closing stages. In the final minutes, Ashton made a break down the wing to register a consolation try, and Hutton saw out the last plays to secure another well-earned victory.

Next week, Windermere make the trip down to face Hutton at HQ.

Tries: A. Wood 2, R. Horton, K. Strange

Conv: A. Tobutt 2

Pen: A. Tobutt

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching