Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Fylde unlucky in high quality contest with Caldy
Your News Fylde unlucky in high quality contest with Caldy

Fylde 25 Caldy 28

Richard Vaseys 78th minute penalty goal settled this close and highly competitive National Two (North) fixture between the 3rd and 4th placed teams. The delight shown by the Caldy players at the final whistle was a clear illustration of how they realised that they got out of jail following the sinbinning of replacement Jon Nugent just three minutes before with the score at 25-all.

With Fylde taking control of the final quarter and Caldy down to 14 men, this looked a banker draw or home win when 17 years old replacement Sam Russell kicked a pressurised penalty to level the score on 75 minutes following Nugents indiscretion. But just minutes later referee Dave Edmunds adjudged a Fylde player to be preventing release at a ruck in midfield and man of the match Vasey kicked the long range penalty to break Fyldes hearts and finish their year long unbeaten run at the Woodlands.

Most observers thought that a draw would have been a fair reward in a high quality game between two excellent teams. But Caldy have the winning habit and, with their 9th successive away win, secured the points to continue their chase of leading pair Loughborough Students and Macclesfield.

The first quarter was all Caldy with Vasey running the show and the whole team looking a million dollars. Lock Paul Arnold, on his way to an extraordinary record in the national leagues, loves playing centre and trundled over for his 16th try of the season to open the scoring after 11 minutes. With no 8 Smithson driving over after a period of pressure on the Fylde line 9 minutes later, and Vasey kicking both conversions, Caldy accelerated to a 14-0 lead with the home side unable to get their hands on the ball.

But the tide turned when the impressive Fylde backs, orchestrated by the highly talented 19 year old fly-half Dan Bibby, started to run at the opposition. A less flamboyant driving maul ended with flanker McGinnis the last man to claim the try on 26 minutes. Five minutes later the Fylde backs created mayhem in the Caldy defence and centre Alex Hurst dived on the loose ball to claim the try.

Just before the interval a fluent move along the Fylde backline saw centre Jack Ward make the crucial break and fullback Mike Waywell was up in support to finish in the corner with style. Bibbys superb touchline conversion gave his side a 19-14 interval lead. What a turnaround for the decent home crowd to cheer!

Caldy controlled the third quarter assisted by a smart try down the right by Neil Kerfoot. A dropped goal by Vasey on 54 minutes gave Caldy a 22-19 lead before Russells first penalty on 62 minutes levelled the scores. It was nip and tuck up to the end before Vaseys final and decisive strike.


FYLDE: Waywell, Royle, Hurst, Ward, Gargett; Bibby, Aikman, Irving, Roddam, Lewis, King, Banks, Smith, McGinnis, Beaumont. Replacements: Fryer, Altham, Ferguson, Russell, Wallwork.

Timings of scores

Tries: McGinnis 26, Hurst 31, Waywell 37. Conversions: Barlow 27, 38. Penalty: Russell 62, 75.

CALDY: McPherson; Soutar, Roberts, Woof, Kerfoot; Vasey, Broxson; Woods, Dowridge, Turner(S), Arnold, Collister, Lyon, Sewell, Smithson. Replacements: Dickinson, Turner(M), Nugent, Ince, Salisbury.

Tries: Arnold 11, Smithson 20, Kerfoot 43. Conversion: Vasey 12, 21. Penalty: Vasey 67, 78. DG: Vasey 54.

Yellow cards: Jon Nugent (Caldy 75).

STAR MAN: Richard Vasey (Caldy)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching