Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hutton 23 - Old Bedians 3
Your News Hutton 23 - Old Bedians 3

Hutton continued their unbeaten start to 2010 with a comfortable victory over bottom side Old Bedians. Having run in 10 tries against their opponents only two weeks earlier, Hutton were looking to record a league double. Despite missing a number of first team regulars, Hutton were able to grind out a victory without being at their best to consolidate fifth position in the league.

Hutton were slow to start the game and Old Bedians had the better of the opening exchanges of play. The visitors put Hutton under pressure at the scrum, but were unable to break down the defence in open play. With boggy conditions under foot, both sides were struggling to put any real phases of play together, Hutton forcing a number of unnecessary passes which gifted Bedians possession. The home side began to assert their authority on the game midway through the half and enjoyed success at the lineouts and scrums. From a midfield scrum on halfway, Hutton broke down the right wing through Andy Tobutt, and the fly half evaded the visitors defence to touch down under the posts. His conversion gave Hutton a 7-0 advantage. With the lineout providing good ball, Hutton began to use their rolling maul to good effect. After winning the ball on the left flank, the home side recycled the ball well to create an overlap and a simple handling move in the backs created the space for winger Craig Dootson to dive over for his sides second try of the afternoon. Spirited defence from Bedians prevented Hutton from extending their lead before half time, and the last action of the half saw the visitors kick away possession when in good field position.

The second half failed to get going as numerous stoppages brought the flow of the game to a standstill. Both sides were again making unforced handling errors, and Bedians looked to capitalise on the Hutton errors. After kicking into the corner, the visitors enjoyed a good spell of possession and Hutton had to defend strongly. Bedians were awarded a penalty under the posts, but instead of going for the try, opted for the kick which was duly converted to leave the score at 12-3. This was as close as the visitors came to a try, and after this Hutton began to take the initiative again, scoring their third try with a well worked move. After a turnover on their own 22, Hutton ran the ball from deep with the backs combining well. It was left to Jim Goulden to feed Dootson and the winger beat the defenders to cross for his second of the game. Tobutt added the extras for a 19-3 lead. Another passage of scrappy play followed soon after, with the referee penalising both sides at the breakdown and then awarding two yellow cards to reduce both sides to 14 men. As a result of these offences, the game went to uncontested scrums, but neither side were able to find a telling score. With time running out, and a full compliment of players, Hutton ran in the final try of the game. Second row John Moore went on a powerful surge, and his offload found winger Pete Sanderson who pulled the defence wide to find Tom Bailey in support. Bailey crossed under the posts to give Tobutt an easy conversion to finish off proceedings.

Hutton know that they need to improve in the upcoming weeks, and next weeks league/cup double header away at Littleborough is sure to test their resolve.

Tries: C. Dootson 2, A. Tobutt, T. Bailey

Conv: A. Tobutt 3

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching