Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hutton 20 - Bolton 11
Your News Hutton 20 - Bolton 11

Hutton completed a league double over Bolton with a hard-fought victory which moves them up to fifth in the league table. With games falling foul to the weather, the Hutton pitch had just about survived the overnight freeze and both sides were looking to make up ground on the teams in the top half of the league.

Bolton started the game on the front foot and spent the early exchanges in the Hutton half. Boltons early possession saw them dominate the set pieces as Huttons pack were put under pressure in the scrum and struggled to win any lineout ball. Despite the pressure in the forwards, Huttons backline were finding holes in the visitors defence but were guilty of forcing forward passes at the crucial time. The Bolton line held the home side at bay after a sustained period of pressure midway through the half, and then took the lead soon after. The visitors pack applied pressure again at the scrum and were awarded a penalty at the breakdown which was converted to give Bolton a 3-0 lead. The score stirred Hutton into life and began to get into the game at the set pieces. After missing an earlier penalty attempt, Tobutt kicked to the corner to set up a lineout 5metres out. A clean catch and drive was given extra momentum by winger Pete Sanderson and he was on hand to crash over from close range. The response from Bolton was immediate. Hutton failed to deal with the restart which allowed Bolton to set up good ball on the 22. A drop goal from the Bolton fly-half gave the visitors a 6-5 advantage. Again, the score acted as a catalyst, and Hutton drove forwards once more. A good handling move saw the backs break clear, but this was held up short by the covering defence. From the resulting scrum, Tom Bailey picked up and an unstoppable drive from the Number 8 saw him power over. Huttons 10-6 lead stayed intact until half time.

Playing with the sun in their eyes, Hutton began the second half and looked to impose themselves on the game. Scoring opportunities were few and far between in the opening minutes, as numerous stoppages in play halted the flow of the game. The majority of the game was being played out in the middle-third with the forwards now cancelling each other out, and chances for the backs to run the ball few and far between. Bolton chose to kick some of their possession away and this allowed Hutton the chance to run the ball back and break down the right flank. Penalty kicks into the corner gave Hutton lineout ball and the subsequent maul rolled towards the line. However, a turnover on the line gave Bolton some respite but Hutton applied further pressure minutes later. With the visitors forwards on the back foot, a 5metre scrum wasnt controlled and as the ball shot out of the back, flanker Brian Harris pressurised the scrum half into spilling the ball and Harris touched down. Tobutt added the conversion to stretch Huttons lead to 17-6. In the final minutes, Hutton went in search of a clinching try but settled for a penalty which Tobutt converted for a 20-6 advantage. The home side then switched off and were penalised at the breakdown to allow Bolton to gain a consolation try from a catch and drive lineout.

This wasnt Huttons best performance, but they showed more attacking threat to earn an important victory. Hutton are back in action next weekend, looking for a quick league double over Old Bedians.

Tries: P. Sanderson, T. Bailey, B. Harris

Conv: A. Tobutt

Pens: A. Tobutt

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching