Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Fylde 24 - Huddersfield 14
Your News Fylde 24 - Huddersfield 14

Both teams started this N2N game as if they hadnt played for weeks and indeed they hadnt. The six week weather break didnt do either side any favours as the opening exchanges resembled the first game of the season, with errors galore and players trying to inject consistency and develop understanding with seemingly unfamiliar team mates. In the first five minutes Fylde lost the ball from the kick-off, put up a mistimed box kick, knocked on and failed to find touch with a penalty kick all basic errors and under no particular pressure.

Indiscipline by both sides marred the game and, if Fylde were penalised heavily for their misdemeanours with a string of penalties against them and three players sinbinned, then the visitors could count themselves lucky to escape harsher treatment. They also lost a player to the sinbin but were guilty of some off the ball transgressions unseen by the officials which contributed to a rather bad tempered affair.

Accomplished Huddersfield & Yorkshire fly-half Chris Johnson missed a penalty kick horribly after 5 minutes but made up for it 6 minutes later to open the scoring with a straightforward penalty. Given the early lack of cohesion in Fyldes ranks it was no surprise when Huddersfield attacked down their right on 10 minutes and found acres of space to allow lock Nick Sharpe to trundle over for a try. Johnson missed the conversion but his side had a deserved 8-0 lead.

Fylde at last got into the match and dominated the second quarter, principally through the powerful running of young centre Alex Hurst. On 23 minutes he broke through some weak midfield Huddersfield tackling and scored an excellent try from 35m out. Fylde fly-half Tom Barlow kicked beautifully all afternoon and converted easily. The loss of lock Nick King to the sinbin held up the home sides progression as up until then they had controlled scrummages and line-outs alike. With hooker Johnny Roddam's pinpoint accurate throwing and the jumping of Alistair Atkinson & returning skipper Sam Beaumont, Fylde had a real advantage to exploit.

In a curious co-incidence, on the day that the Ospreys inadvertently had 16 players on the field against Leicester Tigers in the Heineken Cup, Huddersfield had the same advantage for a short while as replacements and a blood injury caused confusion amongst their coaches and the match officials.

Just before the interval Alex Hurst repeated the earlier medicine by again powering through defensive tackles to score near the posts. Barlow converted and added a penalty goal on the stroke of half-time to give Fylde a 17-8 lead.

The 2nd half was disrupted by the whistle of the referee, a continuance of errors by both sides and bouts of indiscipline. Fylde dominated the third quarter and although Johnson reduced the arrears through a successful penalty after 48 minutes, the home side at last got their fine driving maul working properly as prop Andrew Irving claimed the try five minutes later. Barlow again converted for a 100% record for the afternoon and Fylde at 24-11 looked to be on the way to a bonus point win.

Whilst in the loose exchanges equality more or less reigned, the Fylde backs always looked more dangerous than their opponents. Centre Jack Ward had a very good game alongside Hurst and made some telling breaks. His height and size troubles defences and he's often able to stand up in the tackle and offload. Although Fylde's back three of Nick Royle, Taylor Welch & Matt Gargett put in some useful runs they had few clear opportunities against a keen and committed Huddersfield defence.

Fylde skipper Sam Beaumont was making his first league start of the season and had an energetic and well controlled game along side the tough pair of flankers Laurie Smith and Steve McGinnis. But Huddersfield were in no mood to give in meekly and fought back hard. They were helped by continuing Fylde indiscipline with further sinbinnings to hooker Johnny Roddam and, undermining some of his fine 1st half work, Alex Hurst. Indeed, the young centre was rather lucky to see only a yellow card after a high tackle in midfield. Huddersfield also incurred the wrath of referee Guy Steele-Bodger, who struggled to control some feisty exchanges, and lock Sharpe had a rest in the sinbin.

Despite much huffing and puffing from both sides in the final quarter and Fylde threatening the visitors' try line, only a third Johnson penalty troubled the scoreboard operators as the game finished with a deserved 24-14 Fylde victory. They moved up to 7th in the table whilst Huddersfields worries continue as they are anchored in the third relegation place.

Fylde Director of Rugby Mark Nelson said: "I was very pleased with the win despite the many errors made by both sides. Much of this can be put down to ring rustiness after such a long break from competitive rugby. We were disappointed not to notch a bonus point try as we were pressing hard on the Huddersfield line in the final quarter. But a win is a win - and we've now broken the 40 league points barrier.


FYLDE: Royle, Gargett, Hurst, Ward, Welch; Barlow, Aikman, Irving, Roddam, Lewis, Atkinson, King, Smith, McGinnis, Beaumont. Subs.: Fryer, Altham, Ferguson, Wallwork, Waywell.

Tries: Hurst 21, 37, Irving 53. Conversions: Barlow x 3. Penalties: Barlow 40.

HUDDERSFIELD: Owen, Sutcliffe, Clark, Paxman(B), Van Vuuren; Johnson, Hinchcliffe, Slater, Davies, Stringwell, Harris, Sharpe, Lewis, Whitehead, Hyde. Subs.: Battye, Entressengle, Duffy, Hinchliffe, Clayton.

Try: Sharpe 17. Penalties: Johnson 13, 48, 57.

STAR MAN: Alex Hurst (Fylde)

Fylde Huddersfield

17 Penalties conceded 11

15 Lineouts won 11

1 Lineouts lost 4

14 Scrums won 11

1 Scrums lost 1

3 Sin bins 1

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching