Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 0 - Sedgefield 6
Your News Seaham 0 - Sedgefield 6

Frustration was the order of the day as Seaham entertained Sedgefield in their final Durham & Northumberland Division 3 fixture of 2009. Ted Wood's men arrived with a bare 15 players and a host of new faces, thanks to a variety of circumstances going against them in the build-up to the match. However, they took to the pitch in determined spirits and looked to take the game to their hosts.

The opening quarter of the game was played at a fast pace with the youthful visitors looking to absorb Seaham's forward pressure and hit them on the counter. Their young backs spun the ball well but Seaham's defence was well organised and held them at bay. Sedgefield almost took the lead around the 18 minute mark when their fly half put a delicate grubber kick through the Harbour defensive line as they lined up just inside their 22. He then set off in a chase to the touchdown but home scrum half Grant Dixon beat him to the ball and touched down over his own line to concede a scrum. Fortunately, Seaham's powerful pack was able to disrupt the visitors' scrum and turn the ball over in their favour for Glen Hardie to clear the danger with a fine touch finder.

The visitors had more luck in the 26th minute when they were awarded a penalty after referee Andrew Wilson penalised the hosts for a breakdown offence. The kick was successfully converted by their fly half and they nudged 3-0 ahead. Seaham second row Steve Topping was forced to leave the field after badly dislocating a finger before the restart and was replaced by promising youngster Scott Anderson.

Seaham resumed the offensive with Mark Wilson chasing after everything and piling the pressure on the visitors. The hosts' backs also played an effective part with Glen Hardie and Lee Phillips linking well and making good ground; only to be stifled by stern defence. However, their pressure led to a penalty on 33 minutes but young Hardie kicked his effort under the bar and the opportunity to level the scores was gone.

Seaham continued to pile the pressure on through their forwards as they played uphill for the last six minutes of the half but, despite a dominant display in the lineout from Dan Cahill and Michael Bland, they were unable to convert their possession into points and were forced to turn around with a three-point deficit.

Half Time: SEAHAM (0) Sedgefield (3)

The visitors looked the livelier of the two teams following the break and launched straight onto the offensive from the restart. Rookie wingers Chris Bland and Daniel Rochester were put to the test but showed their mettle with some big hits; a 44th minute tackle from the latter drawing roars of approval from the partisan home crowd. Another big hit 2 minutes later by Mark Wilson raised the supporters' expectations even higher but they appeared unable to capitalise on the visitors' enforced errors.

Sedgefield extended their lead on 52 minutes when their fly half landed a second penalty following an indiscretion at a breakdown. Up to that point, they'd entered Seaham's 22 on two separate occasions and registered three points each time for a 6-0 lead. Seaham shook their heads incredulously and wondered how they were going to get themselves back into the game when all of their previous efforts had been fruitless.

Grizzled veteran Colin Hall entered the fray on the hour mark and replaced full back Graeme Steel. Andrew Baxter vacated his hooker position in Hall's favour and moved to full back. Seaham upped the pressure once again but their visitors replied in kind and set the standard for a tight finish to the game.

Seaham virtually laid siege to Sedgefield in the last ten minutes and had numerous opportunities to snatch a late converted try that would earn them the spoils. Time and again, they put pressure on the visitors' try line but they defended defiantly and held the Harbour avalanche at bay. Their defensive efforts could have been compromised in the 72nd minute when their prop was yellow carded for persistent infringment at the breakdown. Seaham looked to capitalise but were unable to advantage of their numerical edge and Mr Wilson eventually blew for time.

Full Time: SEAHAM (0) Sedgefield (6)

Seaham secretary Neil Roseberry was unable to hide his frustration after the final whistle had signalled his side's eighth consecutive defeat...

"In spite of all our efforts, we haven't won a game since beating Hartlepool Athletic way back in late October. That seems like an eternity from where I'm standing. Sometimes we put every effort into our game but luck simply doesn't seem to go our way. We've blown numerous scoring opportunities today due to poor decision making and handling errors but our spirits are still buoyant."

"We've got a local derby match to look forward to next week against Sunderland 3rds. That should enable us to try a few things out in attack and defence. As long as our lads keep coming along and putting 100% into training and playing, I'm sure our luck will turn around and reap the rewards I believe we deserve."

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching