Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Fylde 12 - Rugby Lions 10
Your News Fylde 12 - Rugby Lions 10

A brilliant and typical piece of opportunism from Fylde fullback Nick Royle in the 77th minute won this very tight game against a hard working Rugby Lions side at the Woodlands. Matt Goodes converted try seven minutes earlier looked as though it might be the difference between two well matched teams and had earned his side their fifth successive away win. Fylde threw everything into a series of desperate attacks. Once more they manufactured good possession 35m out from the Lions line and skipper Craig Aikman moved the ball left along the backline. A pass from replacement wing Mike Waywell fed Royle who went around one defender on the touchline and put in a delicate grubber kick past other Lions players. He won the race to dive joyously on the loose ball to finish off a remarkable piece of skill.

Royle had another two reasons to celebrate his afternoons performance. His brace of tries took to 100 for Fylde in only 93 appearances. More importantly, he learnt on Friday that hed been selected for the England 7s squad to take part in imminent IRB tournaments in Dubai and South Africa.

This was a low scoring but never dull game between old adversaries. Fylde might have been celebrating their 90th anniversary at a pre-match luncheon but their much older established opponents gave them nothing throughout the 80 minutes. Two outstanding defences dominated proceedings and the Lions players and supporters will be bitterly disappointed not to have earned their first win at the Woodlands in a long while. The Lions outstanding skipper Alex Nash was a dominating figure at the breakdown and was well supported by his youthful team mates.

The Fylde backrow was also in fine form and flanker Mark Stephenson, returning after a two month injury break, showed he had lost none of his pace and drive around the fringes of rucks and mauls. He was well supported by the bullocking blindside Laurie Smith and no 8 Roger Banks. However, Fylde weren't helped by the sinbinning of Smith on 62 minutes when he was told to cool his heels along with Lions scrum-half Toby Handley. The home side were more handicapped by the loss of their player than the Lions.

Royles first try, set up by a half break by centre Alex Hurst, on 32 minutes gave them the half-time 7-3 lead but this was never comfortable. At the final whistle Fyldes unbeaten home record was intact but only just! Fylde move up to 6th place in the National Two (North) table.

A major setback for the home side was the loss just before half-time of free scoring winger Oli Brennand with a recurrence of a shoulder injury.

Referee: Andrew Jackson


FYLDE: Royle; Gargett, Hurst, Ward, Brennand (Waywell 40), Barlow, Aikman, Lewis, Roddam, Altham (Irving 65), Atkinson, King (Filipo 79), Smith(L), Stephenson, Banks.

Timings of tries & pens.

Tries: Royle 32, 77. Conversion: Barlow 1.

RUGBY LIONS: Warner; Marston, Goode, Reed, Harris; Green, Handley (Barker); Burchnall Williams 65), Spokes (Burchnall 79), Pateman (Warrilow 73), Campton, Braband, Humphrey, Nash (c), Walton.

Timing of tries & penalties.

Tries: Goode 70. Conversions: Warner 1

Penalties: Warner 28.

Yellow cards: Smith (Fylde) 62; Handley (Rugby Lions) 62.

STAR MAN: Nick Royle (Fylde)


join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching