Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South Tyneside College 30 - Seaham 7
Your News South Tyneside College 30 - Seaham 7

Seaham were made to do without several players as Mark Wilson cried off at the eleventh hour with flu symptoms and Stu Barrass was away on holiday. Andrew Baxter's enforced absence due to injury meant that Gary Lynn took the hooker's shirt once again. Gareth Hawkins' latest bout of hibernation allowed Andrew Short an outing on the right wing.

The visitors got off to a promising start with Glen Hardie following up the kick off and forcing South Tyneside into conceding a penalty. Dave Davison lined the kick up from 30 metres but it drifted to the left of the posts.

Full back Graeme Steel made a handling error after 5 minutes when he failed to collect a kick upfield and knocked on. However, his forwards were in better form and managed to disrupt their heavier opponents' scrum before eventually clearing their lines of any further danger and taking play downfield. Two minutes later, Lee Phillips clumsily entered a ruck from the side and conceded a penalty 30 metres in front of the Seaham posts. South Tyneside's fly half took the kick well and sent it through the posts for a 3-0 lead.

Seaham stormed back from the restart and several phases of neat interplay took them into the opposition half. However, in their eagerness to get back into the game, they strayed over the top at a ruck and conceded a penalty. Once again, the hosts' fly half was happy to clear his lines and take play to the edge of Seaham's 22 for an attacking lineout.

Seaham had an opportunity to tie the scores on 14 minutes when the College offended at a breakdown and the referee, Colin Davison, awarded a penalty 35 metres in front of the posts. Unfortunately, the kick appeared to be a little beyond Dave Davison's range and he fell short, so the hosts retained their lead.

South Tyneside's fly half had an opportunity to extend their lead four minutes later following another breakdown offence but he too fell short so the lead remained a slender 3-0 in their favour.

Seaham remained on the offensive and were awarded a 28th minute penalty when their hosts were adjudged over the top at a ruck. Davison chose to kick for touch and found his mark 15 metres from the College line. The lineout was taken well by Ben Bell and a steady platform was set for young Grant Dixon to unleash his backs. The ball was spun along the threequarter line and reached Glen Hardie on the left wing. The sprightly youngster pinned his ears back and hared for the try line but was forced into touch ten metres short.

At the resulting lineout, athletic young lock Michael Bland soared well to steal the throw and set up a rolling maul. Influential no 8 Steve Sanderson drove his pack forward and gained some momentum. The ball was then passed through several pairs of hands then Dave Davison sold a dummy and chinked through the gap. The veteran fly half then won a race to the line and touched down for his second try of the season. Andy Hogwood's conversion stretched the lead to 7-3 in Seaham's favour with 31 minutes gone.

South Tyneside came out flying for the restart and their pressure on the catcher forced a penalty when one of the Seaham forwards was adjudged to have prevented fair release. The kick was converted and Seaham's lead was reduced to a point at 7-6.

Three minutes before the interval, Seaham overturned possession and the ball was passed along the College backline. The visitors looked to have their defence marshalled well but an outrageous dummy by their inside centre created a gap in the line and he ghosted over for a try near the posts. The conversion was added and Seaham found themselves 13-7 down. A sickening blow after so much possession.

Half time: South Tyneside College (13) SEAHAM (7).

Andrew Short made way for young Chris Bland at the interval and the youngster's first touch showed promise when he took a high ball under pressure and presented a lovely pass for Davison to clear his lines. Two minutes into the half however, Seaham's defence was caught cold and the hosts' centre was allowed to register his second try of the day thanks to some woeful tackling. The conversion to the College 20-7 ahead.

Seaham attempted to assert some renewed vigour into their game from the restart when Steve Meir replaced Ben Bell on the side of the scrum. The grizzled veteran inspired a spell of resurgence from the Harbour pack but their progress was stifled by the whistle on numerous occasions when they were pulled up for some clumsy offences.

The hosts' lead was extended around the hour mark when the hosts were awarded what looked to be a rather dubious penalty. The fly half stepped forward and slotted the kick in off the right posts to take his side 23-7 ahead.

The final score of the day was registered with 4 minutes remaining following a long spell of pressure. Although Seaham defended stubbornly, the College's persistence paid off and their prop crossed the line for a third try in spite of Scott Anderson's brave effort. The conversion took the score to 30-7.

Seaham attempted to have the final say with Dan Cahill and Steve Sanderson driving the rolling mauls effectively but their efforts proved to be fruitless and no further scores were registered.

Final Score: South Tyneside College (30) SEAHAM (7)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching