Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Wallasey 19 - Southport 44
Your News Wallasey 19 - Southport 44

Chris Tees, Southports speedy left winger, capped a fine win against Wallasey with four tries to give his team their highest points score of the season. The other two tries were scored by the backs, highlighting the major transformation in the teams capabilities since Steve Hunter moved to stand-off. He generates confidence in the threequarters to use their pace and ball-handling abilities, and usually breaks the gain line when operating close to the forwards.

Defeating the Wirral side on their own ground has never been easy, and too often the games have deteriorated into physical battles. Southport did not allow that to happen this time, and they produced open flowing rugby to counter the skulduggery of the Wallasey squad. The referee from Yorkshire dealt very well with these spoiling tactics, sending two Wallasey players to the sin-bin, while allowing some good liberal applications of the advantage law, which benefited Southport for most of the match until denied a try at the very end of the game.

By choice at the kick-off, Southport faced the strong wind in the first half, but it only took them two minutes to open the scoring. A huge charge up-field by the forwards, prominently led by prop John Gillow, took ball into the Wallasey 22 metre area, where it was recycled, and Hunter found Tees with space on the left.

At this early stage it was clear that Southports forwards would dominate the game, but occasional lapses in concentration allowed Wallasey to make ground at times. From the kick-off, deep into the Southport half, the ball was lost and it seemed that Wallasey would level the scores immediately. However, their backs managed to drop the ball, and Tees hacked it eighty metres up the pitch to score his second try. The wind made conversion kicks from the left almost impossible, so Southports lead was only ten points.

Again from the kick-off Southport failed to deal with the clearance, and Wallasey latched onto the ball. Their forwards drove over the line for a try, which was converted. The slender three point lead was only temporary, as fullback John Sawbridge added a penalty, before Hunter went off on one of his solo runs. He seems to have the ability to stop would-be tacklers in their tracks like scarred rabbits in car headlights, and it was no surprise that he went in for a try just before half-time.

With a lead of 20-7, Southport continued to pile on the pressure in the second half. A penalty by Sawbridge and a superb dash down the line by Tees for a try extended the lead to 30-7, and we wondered if Southport could really capitalise on this situation, with a winning lead and plenty of time to score more points.

They showed greater determination than in previous weeks, and they can be forgiven for two mistakes which marred the game. Some poor tackling allowed Wallasey to drive through for two tries, but another glorious flowing move by Southport produced Tees final try. Substitute Jamie Wilson was unlucky not to be awarded a try on the final whistle, but the referee had spotted yet another minor infringement by Wallasey, and blew early before Southports advantage could be taken. This would have extended Southports tally to the half-century, and points difference could well be important at the end of the season.

All the teams above Southport in the league also won this week, so the table remains virtually the same, with John Porters team in sixth place. The enthusiasm and control that the team showed for the majority of this game must continue as the season develops.

Just a few hundred metres away from Wallaseys ground, the Southport Veterans had their first run-out of the season, against Oldershaw. They lost 24-12, another wind affected game which Southport had led by twelve points, but the home side came back to overwhelm Graham Suthrens side. Duncan Carter scored a try, which he converted, and Steve Perrin also crossed the line for a try.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching