Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Bolton 0 - Hutton 19
Your News Bolton 0 - Hutton 19

Hutton returned to winning ways with a hard-fought victory against Bolton, scoring three tries and securing their first success since the opening day of the season. With players returning from injury, Hutton took a strong side to face a side that they had already beaten this season in the Lancashire Plate.

From the first whistle, Hutton showed their intent and disrupted the home attack at every opportunity, not allowing the Bolton side to get into a rhythm of play. A couple of half breaks nearly resulted in the first try of the game but good cover defence from the home side prevented an early score. Both sides were locked in a kicking duel for periods of the first half as Bolton decided to kick away possession at regular intervals which allowed Hutton to counter attack and force the play into Bolton territory. With the forwards contesting well at the lineout and putting the home pack under pressure at the scrum, it was Hutton who took the lead midway through the half. An intelligent kick and chase to the corner forced a lineout 5 metres from the Bolton line, and with Hutton securing good ball, the pack drove towards the try line and Brad Horton emerged from the bottom of the rolling maul to score the try. Andy Tobutt added the conversion to give Hutton a 7-0 lead. The visitors were on top, however, were guilty of a few too many offences at the breakdown that allowed Bolton to clear their lines and gain possession in midfield. An accumulation of penalties resulted in Hutton losing flanker Adam Livermore for ten minutes in the sin bin, but Bolton were unable to make the extra man count. Hutton maintained their discipline for this period and found themselves in Bolton territory. After two previous drives were illegally stopped by the home side forwards, Hutton tried again, and with Livermore returning to add an extra shove, the pack rolled the maul to the line. Scrum half Jerry Sturgess was on hand to pick up and dive over from close range. Tobutts conversion missed to leave Hutton with a 12-0 advantage at half time.

Hutton began the second half slowly and presented Bolton with opportunities to get back into the game. However, with Bolton still inclined to kick away possession, the visitors were able to tidy up loose ball and regroup. A few more errors were creeping into the game and play became a little disjointed at times. Midway through the second half, Bolton had their best period of play with some sustained pressure on the Hutton line. The visitors defended strongly and kept the home side at bay, and then a scrum against the head allowed Hutton to clear their line and regain possession on halfway. With their 12 point lead still intact, Hutton went looking for the third try which would prove to be the clinching score. The team were working hard at the breakdown to secure ball, and this allowed the backs to kick into the corner and put pressure on the Bolton line. A midfield turnover saw Ross Horton break clear and with Jim Goulden in support, it looked like Hutton would wrap up the game, however a knock-on cost Hutton their third try. But with time running out, Hutton werent to be denied again, Sturgess broke from the back of the scrum and fed Tobutt who broke through to score under the posts and added the conversion to finish off the scoring.

A good team performance based on solid defensive work was key to the victory and Hutton will look to use this result to move forward and build some momentum in their league campaign. Littlebrough are the visitors to HQ next Saturday.

Tries: B. Horton, J. Sturgess, A. Tobutt

Conv: A. Tobutt 2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching