Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hutton 14 - Trafford MV 18
Your News Hutton 14 - Trafford MV 18

Hutton were left to rue missed opportunities as they fell to a narrow home defeat by Trafford MV in an entertaining game at HQ. After securing an opening day victory, Hutton came up against a well-organised outfit who had won comfortably in their first outing.

It was the visitors who made the brighter start, taking the game to Hutton in the early stages. A midfield break set up a succession of drives from the forwards, but scrambling defence from the home side kept them at bay. After this early scare, Hutton began to get a footing in the game with some clever kicks to the corner and rolling mauls proving to be successful. Following a midfield break, Hutton almost breached the Trafford defence, and despite being driven into touch, the subsequent lineout saw Hutton roll towards the line. A second drive from the home pack resulted in Adam Livermore driving over from close range. Andy Tobutt added the conversion to give Hutton a 7-0 lead. From the restart, Hutton reacted slowly and presented the visitors with good field position and a penalty opportunity. This was missed and Hutton were given a let off. Stoppages in play due to injury gave both sides a chance to regroup, and another midfield break from the Hutton backs nearly resulted in the second try of the game. Just as it looked as Hutton would increase their lead, a midfield interception saw Traffords centre race the length of the field to score under the posts for a converted try. Another needless penalty awarded against Hutton presented Trafford with the opportunity to take the lead, this time the attempt was successful and gave the visitors a 10-7 advantage at half-time.

The second half began in a similar fashion to the first with Trafford applying the early pressure on the Hutton line. After a forwards drive was held up metres from the line, the visitors created an overlap which allowed them to touch down in corner. The conversion missed so Trafford held a 15-7 lead. Both sides were competing well at the breakdown, and as turnovers were becoming more crucial, another silly penalty given away by Hutton offered the opportunity for Trafford to go further ahead at 18-7. With time still remaining in the game, Hutton launched everything they had at the Trafford line. The lineout was working to good effect, and the forwards rolled mauls inside the opposing 22, but some spirited defence held the home side at bay. A midfield turnover saw Hutton go down the blindside to find Ben Fleetwood; the wingers break was well supported by Andy Tobutt who found space to cross the line. Tobutt converted his own try to bring Hutton back into the game at 18-14. Ten minutes remained in the game, and Trafford began to use some kicks into the corner to press the home side back. Hutton tried, but were unable to get out of their half, until the final minute when the last play of the game saw full back Dootson break clear. His mazy run looked to have opened up the Trafford defence for the winning score but a knock-on with the try line in sight proved to be the final act of an entertaining game.

Defeat was hard to take for the Hutton side, who will take some positives from their second league fixture. Next week, Hutton travel to Bury looking to get back to winning ways.

Tries: A. Livermore, A. Tobutt

Conv: A. Tobutt 2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching