Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Flawed but exciting Fylde draw at the Woodlands
Your News Flawed but exciting Fylde draw at the Woodlands

Fylde 20 Kendal 20

(HT 9-10)

This was an exciting though error-strewn contest at a sunlit Woodlands ground which was uncannily similar to the same match last season. In November 2008 Fylde escaped with a rather fortunate 24-all draw with a late try. This time, in front of a very healthy crowd, they were similarly favoured by the Gods when somehow they fought their way into a 20-17 lead with three minutes to go. But they were penalised in the last minute and Kendal centre Matt Ireland, who had a goal kicking day to forget, deservedly levelled with a successful penalty. Any other result would have been extremely hard on the battling Cumbrians who outscored the hosts by two tries to one.

In comparison with Irelands efforts, Fylde fly-half Tom Barlow kept his side in the game with a faultless kicking display - five out of five, including a 41m beauty in the 1st half. Kendals indiscipline in crucial areas of the pitch looked like it might cost them dearly.

Much of Fyldes back play looked as though the players had never played a serious match together which was the truth. Barlow and young centre Alex Hurst were both marking their returns to the home side and have hardly trained with their team mates. The early loss of Fyldes talismanic try scoring winger Nick Royle with a shoulder injury also disrupted their rhythm although replacement Tommy Banks had a strong game. Despite individualistic breaks and some occasional penetrative running from the home side, Kendals defence was always up to the task. Mind you, Fyldes defence was tested even more often and generally was equally miserly. The two occasions the visitors broke through resulted in lovely tries by stand out fly-half Rob Aloe. The New Zealander looked very comfortable with the ball in hand all afternoon and his superb jinking run on 67 minutes saw him score under the posts.

Kendal opened the scoring after 18 minutes when Irelands miskicked penalty from a straightforward position somehow bounced on the bar and went over. It took Fylde another 12 minutes to equalise with Barlows opening penalty and he doubled this a few minutes later to give his side the lead. By this time Fylde were warming to their task and the impressive young full-back Dan Bibby looked especially tricky. On 37 minutes a long kick ahead into the Kendal half to gain field position initially looked useful. But clever play by the always dangerous Kendal winger Lewis Boyd, a former Fylde player, turned defence into attack and a couple of weak Fylde tackles later Rob Aloe was up in support to race 30m for a break away try. Ireland converted and the visitors were 10-6 up. A third Barlow penalty on the stroke of half-time brought his side within a point at the break.

Fylde suffered with indiscipline and lost two players to the sin-bin, Hurst for a high tackle in the 1st half and player-coach & flanker Dave Wilks, who otherwise had another fine game, in the 2nd period. In neither case did Kendal take real advantage thanks to sterling last ditch defending by Fylde.

After sustained pressure on the Fylde line on 67 minutes, Aloe jinked his way through from 20m and scored what looked like the decisive try. Irelands conversion from in front of the posts gave his side a 17-12 lead. But Fylde battled back and a fourth Barlow penalty meant that the Lancastrians were only a couple of points adrift on 74 minutes.

Frantic Fylde attacking on the Kendal line in the 80th minute saw debutant backrower Lawrie Smudge Smith drive over the line powerfully for a close quarters try. Amazingly, Fylde were in the lead. Barlow had by this time been another Fylde injury casualty and back-up kicker Mike Waywell had the high pressure conversion attempt which hit the posts.

The importance of this miss was emphasised in the last minute of injury time as Fylde drove continually into rucks and mauls. Referee Sheard adjudged that a Fylde player had held on too long and Ireland stepped up to kick a good equalising penalty from 35m out. A fair end to a high energy contest in which some of the handling by both sides was culpable.

Referee: Rob Sheard


FYLDE: Bibby, Royle (BanksT), Hurst, Waywell, Brennand, Barlow, Aikman, Lewis, Roddam (Holmes), Cassidy (Filipo), Banks(R), Atkinson, Wilks, Stephenson (Wallwork), Ferguson (SmithL).

Timings of tries & pens.

Tries: Smith 80. Penalties: Barlow x5 (32, 35, 40, 47, 74)

KENDAL: Park, Robinson, Voortman, Ireland, Boyd; Aloe, Gough; McDowell, Green, Harriman, Tomlinson, Gore, Hodgson, Holmes, Wilson. Subs: Quarry, Martindale, Hayton, Charters, Voke.

Tries: Aloe x2 (39, 67) Conversions: Ireland x2 (39, 68) Penalties: Ireland x2 (18, 80+4).

STAR MAN: Rob Aloe (Kendal)

Fylde Kendal

11 Penalties conceded 9

8 Lineouts won 11

1 Lineouts lost 0

9 Scrums won 10

1 Scrums lost 0

2 Sin bins 0

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching