Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Garstang 10 - Hutton 22
Your News Garstang 10 - Hutton 22

Hutton made their North Lancs One bow with an away trip to Garstang looking to build on the previous weeks cup victory. With members of the squad missing, Hutton travelled with only one substitute so knew they would be in for a tricky opening.

Playing with the wind in their faces, Hutton started brightly and tested the home sides defence in the early stages. However, a series of penalties given away allowed Garstang to mount their first attacks of the game. A catch and drive from a lineout saw the home pack roll towards the line, and after a second phase Garstang took the lead with a close range effort. The try spurred Hutton into further life, and the next quarter of the game was played out in Garstang territory. However, despite the visitors dominating at the scrum, the home sides defence withstood every drive from the Hutton pack. Hutton drew level when the ball went along the back line to winger Jim Goulden, whose chip was chased down by Tom Bailey who beat the covering defender to score in the corner. With a few errors creeping into Huttons game at the breakdown, Garstamg were gifted the opportunity for turnover ball. It was from a midfield turnover that the home side took the lead again with only minutes remaining in the first half. When the ball was spilled at the tackle, the Garstang back row forward kicked ahead and collected the ball to give his side a 10-5 half time lead.

The second half began with Hutton using the wind to their advantage, kicking the ball well into the corner and enjoying good spells of possession. After spurning an overlap opportunity, Hutton got back into the game when a blindside break set up a rolling maul. After a couple of drives were held up short, Brad Horton burrowed over to tie the score at 10-10. The home side were struggling to get into the Hutton half and big parts of the game were played out from lineout and scrum ball. Hutton looked to move the ball along the back line and were rewarded for throwing the ball wide when winger Jim Goulden cut inside to find space. Goulden evaded the tackles to cross for the visitors third try of the afternoon, and a 15-10 advantage. Garstang tried to mount a final push to tie the scores but Huttons defence resisted the attacks and forced some good turnover ball in crucial field positions. With time running out, it was Hutton who completed the scoring when replacement full back Ian Turner broke free and a mazy run resulted in the final try of the game. Andy Tobutt converted his first kick of the afternoon to complete a 22-10 victory.

With a long season in prospect, Hutton know the importance of getting off to a good start in the league campaign and will look to build on this victory when Trafford MV visit Police HQ next Saturday, 3.00pm kick off.

Tries: T. Bailey, B. Horton, J. Goulden, I. Turner

Conv: A. Tobutt

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching