Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 18 - Prudhoe & Stocksfield 5
Your News Seaham 18 - Prudhoe & Stocksfield 5

Seaham got their 2009/10 league campaign off to a winning start with an 18-5 victory over league newcomers Prudhoe & Stocksfield at New Drive.

Although the heavier visitors' pack had a slight edge in the early scrums, they were stifled by a determined Seaham defence; with Dave Hayes and Henry Brace orchestrating proceedings well from half back. The back row trio of Dan Cahill, Ben Bell and Gary Rutter showed dominance at the breakdown and took the game to the opposition.

In the 14th minute, Bell snaffled a turnover at a ruck and the ball was spun left through several pairs of hands. In-form winger John Dixon crossed in the left corner and ran under the posts for his third try of the season. The conversion was added by fly half Dave Hayes for a 7-0 lead.

Six minutes later Seaham hooker Andrew Baxter was sin-binned for punching and was left to consider his good fortune that referee Terry Farrell never showed him a straight red card. However, his team mates weathered the storm caused by his enforced absence and retained their lead until the errant hooker returned to the fray ten minutes later.

In the 34th minute Prudhoe were penalised for handling at the bottom of a ruck. Dave Hayes kept his cool and slotted a penalty from 30 metres to extend the lead to 10-0. Four minutes later, the silver-haired fly half added his second penalty of the day with an almost identical effort to extend the lead to 13 points.

Prudhoe turned around at half time with the wind at their backs and exerted pressure on the Harbour defence, keeping them on the back foot. Their pressure earned them a penalty on 44 minutes when the hosts transgressed at a ruck but the attempt drifted agonisingly wide.

Seaham were forced into making a 48th minute substitution when Andrew Short replaced fiery centre Lee Phillips, who was suffering ankle problems following an injury scare in the first half. The youngster wasted no time making his mark on the opposition and delivered some crunching tackles in defence and elusive runs going forward.

Seaham began to get a little complacent as the half went on and conceded a score in the 54th minute when they turned over possession in midfield and one of the Prudhoe centres hacked downfield. The ball rolled over the home try line and John Dixon's hesitation was matched by the opportunism of the Prudhoe left wing for the visitors to register their first league points of the season with a try. With the conversion drifting narrowly wide, Seaham's lead remained 13-5.

Seaham seemed to grow in strength and confidence as the game entered it's dying stages. Excellent pressure up the left flank took Seaham deep within the Prudhoe 22. Stu Tisseman and Dave Hayes passed intricately before feeding Andy Baxter. The hooker then sucked in two defenders before popping a scoring pass to powerful winger John Dixon, who touched down in the left corner for his fourth try in three games. Hebry Brace missed the conversion so Seaham remained 18-5 ahead with eleven minutes remaining.

The final ten minutes were played out evenly with Seaham maintaining a steady grip on the game. And when Mr Farrell blew for full-time, Seaham celebrated their first opening day league victory for seven years.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching