Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Southport 29 - Trentham 19
Your News Southport 29 - Trentham 19

Before this game Bernard OMalley of Nationwide Produce, Southport RFC main sponsor, presented a complete new set of shirts for the whole club, from under 7s to Veterans. The smart new kit gave the Southport team encouragement to build on their Cup win last week, and go into this first league game with confidence. Trentham arrived at Waterloo with a young, enthusiastic team, but with little hope of standing up to the power of Southport pack. So for the majority of this game John Roberts team dominated the opposition, and the final scoreline underestimated their superiority. Man-of-the-match was Dave Gairn, the lightest but the most mobile of the forwards, and his tackling snuffed out most of Trenthams attempts to use the wide open spaces of Waterloo Road.

Karne Green, Southports fast improving winger, scored the first try after fifteen minutes, following some superb drives by flankers Janus Lamprecht and Gairn that distrupted the Trentham defences. Playing into the wind, Southport kept the game tight, confident that their constant forward drives would continue to draw the strength from the Trentham tacklers. So it was, and lock forward Nick Fellows scored the next try, following some powerful controlled drives from the pack.

But the home team showed last week that they also have backs that can play expansive rugby, and the next try demonstated their ability to move the ball at pace. Roberts at inside centre took the ball wide, and then slipped it back into stand-off Swinson, catching the defenders on the wrong foot. Fullback Steve Wallace was up in support, taking a well timed pass and jinking past the final defender to score under the posts with a graceful dive. Swinson kicked the conversion, and Southport appeared to be coasting. However, Trentham were awarded a penalty within kickable range just outside the 22 metre area with the wind behind, but their elusive scrumhalf Andy Barker took a quick tap and was over the line before Southport could lay a finger on him.

So the teams turned round at 19-5 to Southport, and a few minutes into the second half Swinson added a penalty goal. Another huge drive by centre Clark Walton put the game beyond doubt with his third try in two games, giving the home team a 29-5 lead, with twenty minutes to go. We can draw a veil over the last quarter of the game, and simply record that Trentham renewed their resolve, and scored two tries while Southport contemplated their league game at Buxton next week.

With fourteen teams now in the South Lancashire and Cheshire Div II, Southports first free league date in 21st Nov, when they will play Birchfield at home in the second round of the Lancashire Plate.

Over the wall last Saturday Southports 3rd team came from behind to defeat Sefton III 35-26.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching