Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Warrington 18 - Hutton 24
Your News Warrington 18 - Hutton 24

Hutton reached the final of the Lancashire Plate after a hard-fought victory over Warrington. With both sides recently achieving promotion from their respective leagues, this promised to be a well-contested game and this proved to be the case.

After defeating teams from higher leagues in the previous rounds, Hutton went into the semi-final clash with confidence. It was the visitors who started the brighter of the two sides, and raced into an early lead when a midfield break found Kev Strange whose inside pass was collected by Andy Maher to cross for the first try of the day. Andy Tobutt converted to give Hutton a 7-0 advantage. Warrington responded well, and had a good sustained period of pressure, but were unable to find a way through the well marshalled Hutton defence. Their pressure was rewarded when successful with a penalty attempt after Hutton were penalised at the breakdown. It was then Huttons turn to respond well, and despite missing a penalty of their own, the visitors were enjoying good periods of possession. After a kick to the corner, Hutton won the lineout and set up a rolling maul. The forwards drove to the line, and with this in sight, Brad Horton crashed over to extend Huttons lead. Tobutt added the conversion to give Hutton a 14-3 lead. Warrington finished the half the stronger and were mounting pressure on the Hutton line, however, they chose to kick the ball away. Despite defending strongly, a succession of penalties against the visitors resulted in Hutton being reduced to 14 men; Ross Horton the man to receive the punishment. The closing play of the half saw Warrington register a second penalty to leave the half-time score 14-6.

Playing with the breeze behind them in the second half, Hutton knew they had to play a territorial game and maintain their discipline at the breakdown. The visitors began the second half as they did the first, forcing themselves onto the front foot with a good kick and chase. Back to 15, a blindside break from a scrum provided the platform for the third Hutton try of the game, and after recycling the ball well, full back Craig Dootson stepped inside to dive over from close range. It was then the turn of Warrington to mount some second half pressure after a series of penalties. A couple of long range penalties were missed, but following a couple of forward drives, Warrington crossed from close range to bring the score back to 19-11. The next score was going to be decisive and it was Hutton who were looking likely to add to their lead. A 5-metre scrum and rolling maul were stopped just short of the line and when Hutton opted for another scrum, they broke wide. Forwards and backs combined well to find Jack Walmsley who crossed in the opposite corner to take Hutton into a 24-11 lead. With time running out, the home side threw everything forward in an attempt to score a couple of tries. Huttons defence again resisted the Warringtons attacks but despite their best efforts, the home side crossed for a second try when they created an overlap to score. The conversion brought the scoreline closer at 24-18. The final minutes were a frantic affair with Warrington trying in vain to break through, and after a midfield turnover, Hutton were able to secure ball and clear their lines.

Tries: A. Maher, B. Horton, C. Dootson, J. Walmsley

Cons: A. Tobutt 2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching