Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Ormskirk 9 - Hutton 26
Your News Ormskirk 9 - Hutton 26

Hutton produced one of their best performances of the season to defeat Ormskirk in the quarter finals of the Lancashire Plate. A strong defensive effort from the visitors set the platform for Hutton to score 4 tries and reach the last four of the competition.

Ormskirk started the game brightly and a couple of good kick returns provided the hosts with an early territorial advantage. This good start was rewarded when Ormskirk converted a close range penalty to take an early lead. Hutton responded well and having reclaimed the ball from the restart, began to run some good phases of play. A blindside break from Kevin Strange found Craig Dootson in support and the full back raced clear to touch down for the first try of the evening, which was converted by Andy Tobutt. Ormskirk were looking to run the ball at every opportunity but their backline couldnt find the final pass to convert a couple of opportunities. The home side did register a second penalty to get within a point of Hutton, and during a good spell of possession, only a try saving tackle from Strange prevented Ormskirk from taking the lead. This tackle and a couple of midfield turnovers gave Hutton further confidence. The visitors were using good kicking tactics, and Ormskirk found it hard to break through the Hutton chasing defence. It was from a kick and chase that Hutton scored their second try of the game. Tobutts chip found itself gathered by Tom Bailey in support, and when the winger was tackled, his offload was picked by Tobutt who finished off the move to make the score 12-6. In the closing minute of the half, Hutton created another chance to score from a blindside break but a knock-on left the visitors with the 6-point advantage at half-time.

The second half began with Hutton enjoying some early possession. Despite the possession, Hutton couldnt build on their lead and the hosts started to impose themselves on the half. A third penalty in front of the posts for Ormskirk reduced the score line to 12-9, and Huttons defence had to be at its best to stop a couple of attacks. A turnover on the try line allowed Hutton to clear their lines and regroup on halfway. Good ball in midfield was spun to Craig Cameron, and the centre found a gap in the home sides defence to race clear and score under the posts. Tobutt added the extras to take Huttons advantage to 19-9. Hutton continued to dominate the scrums and forced a number of balls against the head. The visitors also had an advantage at the breakdown with Johnson and Noott securing vital turnovers which provided the platform for further kicks to turn the home side defence. With time running out and the evening light fading, the home side declined a fourth penalty in front of the posts in favour of a quick tap. However, there was no way through the Hutton defence and following another turnover, a midfield kick bounced up into the arms of Cameron who twisted away from the defenders to score his second try of the game. Tobutt added the conversion to give Hutton a 26-9 victory.

This was an impressive team performance with every member of the side contributing to the outcome. Hutton are now drawn to play Warrington in the semi-finals with the date and time to be confirmed. It is a return to league action on Saturday against Carnforth.

Tries: C. Cameron 2, C. Dootson, A. Tobutt

Cons: A. Tobutt 3

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching