Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Fylde 38 - Hull Ionians 14
Your News Fylde 38 - Hull Ionians 14

Once Fylde had tamed the flinty Ionians pack at the Woodlands then it was always going to be a case of how many points they would notch up. Their seven tries against two by Hull summed up the difference between the two teams. Only a lamentable kicking display by four stand-ins for normal Fylde goal kicker Steve Nutt kept the score down to decent proportions. Indeed, no one at the ground could remember a statistic like it seven tries, not one converted!

A Nick Royle hat trick, two scored in injury time, brightened up some error-ridden rugby and the incomparable arch finisher took his seasons total to 17, just two short of his Fylde oppo, Oli Brennand who began the afternoon as National Three Norths top scorer. It was a barren day for Brennand, one of very few this season, rounded off by the news that Leicester Lions Gareth Collins had scored his tenth try in the last two matches to depose the Fylde youngster at the top of the divisions try scoring table which he has led all season.

With Nutt still missing with a rib injury and watching from the sidelines, Fylde centre Tom Albinson has stepped up to the goal kicking role in recent weeks. He started off well by converting a straightforward penalty on 15 minutes to put Fylde ahead. They never relinquished the lead thereafter although, despite a good general performance by the young centre, Albinsons goal kicking went downhill from there.

Ionians then put some good early phases together and pressed hard on the Fylde line. Only fine defence kept them out.

When Fylde did break out, they too put together a sequence of patient, possession play inside the Ionians 22m line. A number of powerful drives sucked in the visitors defence and skipper Craig Aikman moved quick ball to the left. Good hands put flanker Dan Palmer in space and he finished off the move with a 10m burst and a 8-0 lead.

Then came a period of stalemate in the second quarter with errors from both sides spoiling decent moves. Fylde huffed and puffed but were unable to release their dangerous backs into the spacious Woodlands acres. Fylde were shading the forward exchanges but handling errors and wrong options undermined their efforts.

On 32 minutes home centre David Wiseman intercepted a telegraphed Ionians pass and raced downfield with 70m to go. He looked clear but the Ionians defenders chased him down and he was tackled 5m from the line. The danger was only temporarily cleared as Fylde put more pressure on the Hull defence. Once again, quick hands led to the try, this time by prop Adam Lewis who drove powerfully over the line. Wiseman injured his ankle in his breakout and was replaced by Richard Kenyon on 39 minutes. It was 13-0 to Fylde at the interval.

If this was hardly sufficient reward for Fyldes 1st half efforts, they warmed to their work in the 2nd period . Within seven critical minutes between the 43rd & 50th, clever moves led to Royle opening his account on 49 minutes after being set free by Albinson and then a powerful trademark burst by prop Kieran Brookes ended with Albinson himself getting Fyldes 4th and bonus point winning try. This made it 23-0. Matters got worse for the visitors when their highly experienced hooker Carl Mortimer was yellow carded although Fylde took their collective foot off the gas as they failed to take advantage of the extra man.

With Mortimer restored, Ionians fought their way back into the match and opened their account with a neat and deserved try on 64 minutes when rangy lock Lee Brown was on the end of a good bout of interpassing. Thomas converted and the deficit was reduced to 7-23. This turned out to be no more than a brief reprieve for the visitors.

Four minutes later Fylde battled back to the other end of the pitch and from a scrummage a push over try was claimed by Sam Beaumont. It was good to see the no 8 back in league action following an absence of a couple of months with a groin injury.

But Ionians didnt throw in the towel and fought their way to the other end of the pitch. Referee Rob Sheard took some of the gloss of Beaumonts afternoon when he sinbinned him. A man down, Ionians put in a series of drives close to the Fylde line and their excellent no 8 Danny Hague drove over for a deserved try. Adam Thomas kicked the conversion to reduce the deficit to 14-28.

Two brilliant moments of opportunism by Nick Royle lit up the last few minutes of the game in injury time. He seemed to have been held up on the first occasion but wriggled free and raced over for a fine try. By now, and after watching Tom Albinson, Martin Wallwork and Richard Kenyon send kicks wide of the mark, skipper Aikman had a go but was similarly askew.

A minute later Royle gave Aikman another kicking chance as he burst free once more down the right for his hat trick try in the right corner. Ionians will be heartedly sick of the blond speedster as he has scored a hat full of points against the Yorkshiremen in recent seasons. Needless to say, the conversion went well wide of the mark!

This was eventually a competent performance by Fylde, highlighted by some fine tries but with sufficient errors to give coach Mark Nelson enough to work on in training in the coming week. Their forwards had a marginal advantage in the scrummages without causing mayhem and the line-outs were more or less even. The home back row worked very hard with Dan Bowman, as usual, doing much of the unglamorous hard graft on the ground until he was replaced by Dave Wilks on 65 minutes.

But it was the Fylde backs who looked much more dangerous than their opponents throughout, particularly when they were able to move the ball wide to their wingers. Aikman led the side with real effort and courage and was always looking to make his characteristic sniping breaks around the fringes.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching