Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Southport 3 - Ruskin Park 13
Your News Southport 3 - Ruskin Park 13

This game contained two moments of excellent rugby which produced two tries. Regrettably it was the visitors to Waterloo Road, Ruskin Park, would created these scores. The rest of the game was torrid affair, with plenty of endeavour but far too many mistakes by both sides.

After thirty minutes of end-to-end play, with both teams making ground from errors by their opponents, Southports outside half Ben Swinson slotted one penalty goal, having missed two similar chances earlier in the game.

Once again Southports forwards were dominant for most of the game, a fortunate situation since the Ruskin Park backs were clearly a competent and well-drilled outfit. The teams turned round with Southport still holding the slender three point advantage, but this was soon equalled by a penalty from the visitors for obstruction. Ruskin Park then moved the ball to the right from a ruck, and recycled the ball out to the left where their big second row forward Matthew Tindall was waiting close to the touchline. He took a well timed pass and trundled over in the corner for the first try. The strong wind favoured Ruskin Park in this half, and some huge kicks caused Southport problems in covering the whole pitch. One poor clearance kick presented the ball to Ruskin Park, and they drew the remaining defence to put their right winger Martin Birch in at the corner. At this time Southport were temporarily down to fourteen men, as Colin Toohey had been sent to the sin bin for a silly retaliation to a scrummage infringement. The recipient of Tooheys indiscretion was also dismissed for his part in the incident.

With both sides back to full strength the game returned to the situation where the defenders outplayed the attackers. Southports man-of-the-match was centre Clark Walton, whose crash tackling prevented any further tries from the skilful Ruskin Park backs, while at times he threatened to make the sort of break which resulted in his try last week. Alas it was not to be this week.

Southports 2nd XV lost narrowly to Christleton by 22-24, with Graham Riley scoring two tries and Steve Hunter crossing the whitewash for one.. The two conversion kicks were by Mike Gooodwin and Phil Causey, who also kicked one penalty goal.

The 3rd XV had an excellent 48-8 win over Oldershaw III. Steve Summerfield raced in for three tries, and added three conversion, Tony Hudson clocked up two tries and one conversion, and the other try scorers were Shane Cook, Mark Holmes and Jeremy Clark.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching