Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 20 - Sedgefield 9
Your News Seaham 20 - Sedgefield 9

Seaham stormed to their third consecutive County Plate final thanks to a determined victory this weekend. Sedgefield arrived at the New Drive in optimistic spirits but their hosts' pack stormed out of the blocks and laid a solid platform.

Seaham's front row of Drinkwater, Baxter and Meir were rock solid throughout the game. This allowed skipper Peter Wood, playing out of position at number 8, to link well with scrum half Gary Rutter and press forward almost at will. The first score was registered after 17 minutes when full back Paul King bulldozed his way into the opposition 22 and sucked in two defenders before somehow offloading to Glen Hardie. The rookie wing then blazed over in the corner for a 5-0 advantage with the conversion being narrowly missed by second row Andy Hogwood.

Further dominance by the Seaham pack ensured they maintained the offensive with Ben Bell and Henry Brace dominating the lineouts. After spending time camped deep in the Sedgefield 22, the Harbour eight drove towards the line and Gary Rutter collected and scurried over the line on 28 minutes to double the lead. Hogwood was agonisingly wide with his touchline conversion attempt so the score remained 10-0.

There were further opportunities to extend the lead with penalties awarded on both sides of the pitch but both Paul King and Dave Hayes were unsuccessful. Seaham's other young wing, Gareth Hawkins, registered his side's third try of the day 4 minutes before the break when he showed his opposite man a clean pair of heels and bombed down the left wing to cross the line and touch down under the posts for a try converted by Dave Hayes. Shortly afterwards referee Kevin Lund blew for half time.

Half time: SEAHAM (17) Sedgefield District (0)

Sedgefield came back into the game after the interval with their outside centre and scrum half looking particularly useful. They provided a good amount of possession to keep their team going forward and a trio of penalties saw them within touch at 17-9. However, stubborn defence by the hosts, with centre pairing Lee Phillips and Stu Tisseman tackling like demons, ensured that their line remained unbreached.

A penalty by Andy Hogwood seemed to knock the stuffing out of the visitors and stretched the lead to eleven points. This appeared to be a score too far for Sedgefield and the game ebbed away for them without further score before the referee signalled for full time and a Seaham victory.

Full time: SEAHAM (20) Sedgefield District (9)

Seaham now face a wait to see who their final opponents will be. Chester-le-Street and West Hartlepool Amateurs are still to play their quarter final tie with the victors travelling to Newton Aycliffe for the semi final.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching