Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Windemere 25 - Hutton 19
Your News Windemere 25 - Hutton 19

Hutton suffered their first league defeat after a narrow 6 point loss at nearest rivals Windermere. With both teams level on points at the top of the table, it was Windermere who got themselves in front with 7 games remaining.

The home side started brightly and put Hutton under some early pressure at the set piece and after an early penalty miss, were rewarded when they broke clear from close range to score under the posts. Trailing 7-0, Hutton slowly began to get a footing in the game, and some good territorial kicking gave the visitors better field positions. Both sides were competing well at the breakdown but a series of scuffles disrupted the flow of the game. After a lineout, Huttons back row broke through and set the platform for their first score, with Craig Cameron crashing over after some good handling. Tobutt added the conversion to level the score at 7-7. Windermere then edged in front before half term when successful with a penalty attempt. Both sides were then reduced to 14 men in the space of 5 minutes, firstly Huttons Livermore was carded for an offence at the ruck and then the home side lost their hooker for over use of his boot at the ruck. Half time saw Windermere hold a 3 point advantage, 10-7.

The second half started with Hutton enjoying good possession and running some good phases of play. The visitors kicked intelligently to force good field positions and from a 5-metre scrum, took the lead for the first time. The pack drove forwards and allowed Aidy Harrison to pick up and dive over from close range. Tobutts conversion gave Hutton a 14-10 lead. The home side responded well and capitalised on a few refereeing decisions to enter Hutton territory and keep possession for a sustained period. After a lineout, Windermere got over the gain line and good support resulted in a second try and conversion, 17-14. After a kicking duel, the home side found themselves on Huttons line and when the referee adjudged the visitors to have hands in the ruck, they were reduced to 14 men once again with Livermore receiving a harsh red card. Despite the numerical advantage, Windermere failed to capitalise and Hutton mounted a spirited fightback. Running the ball at every opportunity, Hutton took possession into the 22 and after a quick free-kick, Jack Walmsley crashed over in the corner to give the vistors the lead again, 19-17. With time running out, the home side had their prop yellow carded, which resulted in uncontested scrums, and the lead change hands once again. Hutton had good field position, but when an attempted kick was charged down allowing Windermeres centre to run the length of the field to touch down in the corner, 22-19. Only minutes remained, but Hutton couldnt reclaim the ball and it was Windermere who had valuable possession. A drop goal sealed Huttons fate and gave the home side a 25-19 victory.

Hutton will look to key decisions in the game, but a lack of discipline again cost the team at key points during the game. With games in hand, Hutton still have a great chance to regain top spot in the upcoming weeks. Next week, Clitheroe visit HQ in a rearranged league fixture.

Tries: C. Cameron, A. Harrison, J. Walmsley

Cons: A. Tobutt 2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching