Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Lancashire Plate 2nd Round - Sefton 3 (3) – (5) 8 Hutton
Your News Lancashire Plate 2nd Round - Sefton 3 (3) – (5) 8 Hutton

Saturday 17th January 2009

Hutton’s first game of 2009 saw the team travel to Sefton in the rearranged Lancashire Plate tie. Having missed games due to poor weather, Hutton went into the game lacking match practice but with a fully fit squad to choose from.

From the kick-off, Hutton took the game to the visitors and gained good field position with the backs and forwards linking well. A charged down kick then allowed Hutton to maintain their early pressure in the opposition 22. From the resulting breakdown, Hutton spun the ball wide and an overlap found Ross Horton who crossed over for the first score of the game. The conversion attempt drifted wide, leaving Hutton with a 5-0 advantage. Playing with the wind, the hosts were struggling to find a way into the game with Hutton having most of the possession in the opening period. Indiscipline then cost Sefton when they had their second row sin binned for persistent offences. Despite their numerical advantage, Hutton couldn’t build on their lead and indiscipline was not punished when the hosts missed a penalty attempt. Hutton were defending their line well, and stopped Sefton whenever the hosts got into threatening positions. Despite playing into a strong breeze, Caslake and Tobutt were kicking well into the corner and clearing their line when needed. Just before half-time, the hosts were successful with a penalty to cut Hutton’s lead to 5-3.

Hutton took their slender advantage into the second half, and playing with the wind behind them, they looked to play for territory and build from set pieces. With the lineout operating well, Hutton’s pack were getting on top and providing good ball for the backs who were finding occasional gaps in the Sefton defence. Both sides were contesting well at the breakdown but a series of penalties gave Hutton the opportunity to increase their lead. Tobutt failed with one attempt, but was successful with his second Saturday 17th January 2009penalty minutes later to give Hutton an 8-3 advantage. With the home side needing a converted try to take the lead, Sefton applied sustained pressure on the Hutton line. A succession of penalties saw Hutton reduced to 14 men when Livermore was sin-binned, and Sefton declined a couple of easy penalty attempts in favour of a scrums. These decisions proved costly for the home side as Hutton’s well marshalled defence stood firm and a try line turnover gave Hutton vital possession. A long clearance down field allowed Hutton to regroup and play out the remaining minutes in the opposition half.

This was another good team performance that was based on a solid defensive effort throughout, and Hutton now await the winners of Ormskirk-Bolton in the next round.

Next week, attention turns to the league, when Hutton visit North Manchester.

Tries: R. Horton

Pens: A. Tobutt

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching