Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hutton 31 - Hawcoat Park 3
Your News Hutton 31 - Hawcoat Park 3

Hutton ended the year with a hard fought victory over a battling Hawcoat Park outfit, and consolidated top spot in the league going into 2009. After suffering their first defeat of the season in the cup, Hutton were intent on keeping their unbeaten league form. Having made the long journey down to the Sports Arena, it was the visitors who started the brighter and forced Hutton into early mistakes. The home side were unusually sluggish at the set pieces and slow to the breakdown, allowing Hawcoat Park to use pick-and-go tactics and kick themselves into good field positions. Hawcoat took the lead with a close range penalty and continued to take the game to Hutton. The turning point of the first half came when Hutton resisted a long sustained period of pressure inside their 5-metre line, and a turnover allowed them to clear up to halfway. A good kick and chase put Hutton into visitors territory and from the lineout; the ball went along the back line to find Craig Cameron, who spun out of tackle to cross the line. The conversion attempt missed, Hutton led 5-3. After taking the lead, Hutton went further ahead when a blindside break put winger Goulden into space, his chip over the defence was chased by Andy Maher who collected the ball to score a second try. Tobutt added the conversion to give Hutton a 12-3 advantage. A frantic five minutes ended when Hutton scored a third try; full back Dootson made an excellent break and offloaded find Tom Noott, who broke away to score under the posts. Tobutt added the extras to leave Hutton leading 19-3.

The home side began the second half positively and enjoyed a good share of possession but failed to turn this advantage into a fourth try. After their first half exertions, Hawcoat were unable to sustain any periods of pressure in the second half, and frequent injuries to players caused stoppages which affected the flow of the game. In the final twenty minutes, Hutton continued to have good field position and from a scrum, Harrison and Caslake linked well and put Craig Dootson over for a deserved try. The conversion drifted wide, to leave Hutton with a 24-3 advantage. Hutton crossed the line for a fifth try after good handling from the backs found Dootson, who evaded all tacklers on an excellent solo run and dive over for his second try of the game. Tobutt added the conversion and Hutton led 31-3. The home sides defence again held firm and was solid around the fringes of the ruck, resulting in another game without conceding a try. Hawcoat made life difficult for Hutton and put up a spirited performance, but the home side had a little too much pace in attack.

The upcoming Christmas holidays mean Hutton dont return to action until 3rd January when they visit Sefton in the Lancashire Plate.

Tries: C.Dootson 2, C.Cameron, A.Maher, T.Noott

Cons: A.Tobutt 3

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching