Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hutton crash out of EDF Energy Vase
Your News Hutton crash out of EDF Energy Vase

Barnsley 8 (5) (7) 7 Hutton

After a two-week absence, Hutton returned to action in the EDF Energy Vase, making the trip across the Pennines to visit Barnsley. This was going to be the toughest test of the season, and conditions made for tight, physical encounter.

Hutton started brightly and took the game to the home side from the first whistle, kicking into the corner intelligently and having a territorial advantage. After both teams missed early penalty attempts, Hutton maintained the advantage at set pieces and ran some good phases of play. Full back Dootson was taking every high ball that the home side kicked to him, and returning them with interest. Hutton then registered the first score of the afternoon after opting for a 5-metre scrum, the ball went through sets of hands ending up under the posts, and it was Kev Strange who picked up and forced his way over from close range. Tobutt added the extra two points to give Hutton a 7-0 lead. Barnsleys response was immediate, and straight from the restart they forced a turnover, kicked on before putting their winger into the corner to slide over. The conversion attempt fell short so Hutton led by 7-5. Despite the conditions, both sides were playing some flowing rugby but defence was on top. Nearing half-time, Hutton were dealt a double blow when Goulden and then Mercer were sin binned for unnecessary offences, but despite the 2 man advantage, Barnsley were unable to capitalise. Half-time, and Hutton led by two points.

The visitors kicked off the second half looking to maintain their advantage, and were soon back up to full strength. The game was being fiercely contested in the forwards with both packs contesting well at opposing lineouts but a series of penalties awarded against Hutton gave the home side better field positions . From an offside offence, Barnsley were gifted the opportunity of a penalty under the posts and they took the points to take the lead 8-7. Hutton responded well and had the majority of possession of territory entering the final twenty minutes, but were reduced to fourteen once again when replacement Caunce was cautioned for an offence at the lineout. This was a test of both sides character and Hutton kicked well into the corner to force lineouts on the home sides try line but Barnsley held firm. Hutton then had a series of 5-metre scrums and No. 8 Harrison looked like he had scored the crucial try but was adjudged to be held up by the defence. A knock-on just metres from the line was the final chance for the visitors and Barnsley finished the game with their first sustained period of pressure in the half. A forwards drive was held-up over the line and this was greeted with the final whistle, relief for the home side and despair for the Hutton team.

This was a tough encounter between two evenly matched teams, and Hutton will look at their indiscipline which cost them vital field positions throughout the second half. Hutton look to maintain their unbeaten league form next Saturday with a home tie against Hawcoat Park.

Tries: K. Strange

Cons: A. Tobutt

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching