Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Garstang 24 - Bury 5
Your News Garstang 24 - Bury 5


GARSTANG pulled out of the relegation positions in style when they claimed victory in a must-win game at the bottom end of the table. The team was much changed from the one which travelled to Furness the previous week but there were still doubts over the starting line up with several players carrying injuries.

Garstang dominated the game from the off and they were rewarded with the first score of the day following good work by Ben Greenwood. He made a break before offloading in the tackle to Keith Yates who was able to get over the line. Andy Blackley, who has been struggling with a hamstring injury of late, took the conversion but it fell short (5-0).

Bury were putting in a plucky display and were soon back on level terms. The ball had come loose on the ground, Bury hacked forward and their player won the race to the line (5-5).

The other score in the half followed a period of forward dominance. Once in position Steve Yardley was able to pick and drive and bash his way over the try line. This time Gorsty had a pop at goal but he too missed (10-5).

Garstang knew that they had to build on the narrow lead and Nick Kenyon did that in style at the start of the second period. He got the ball at pace, danced past the two defenders and then powered his way over the line with the last line of defence hanging on to him. It was a great try and highlighted what an important player he is to the Garstang back division. John Robinson took the conversion and he made no mistake (17-5).

By this stage Garstang were playing with a freedom rarely seen so far this season and they looked dangerous every time they had ball in hand. Lack of composure and experience saw them squander several chances but they will surely be scored in weeks to come.

The final score of the day came when John Robinson kicked over the top, won the race to the ball and grounded over the try line. He bettered his own effort to give the team an unassailable 24-5 lead.

This was the final score of the day and the win was in the bag.

Pat Woods, who had been outstanding for the Blues a week earlier, won the Man of the Match award for an excellent performance.

Team: Miller, Yardley, Redmayne, Woods, Orr, Yates, Slater, Greenwood, Brown, Blackley, Nickson, Kenyon, Robinson (C), Kelsall, Gorst. Replacements: Outram, H.Jones, Salthouse.

On Saturday 13th December the 1st XV are away at Didsbury Toc H in North Lancs One, K.O. 14:15.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching