Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hutton 25 - Liverpool Collegiate 17
Your News Hutton 25 - Liverpool Collegiate 17

Hutton earned a very hard-fought victory over a spirited Collegiate side at their temporary venue of Prestons Sports Arena. This was Huttons toughest test so far this season and both sides played their part in an entertaining game where the lead changed hands four times.

Hutton began the game playing into the slight wind, with Collegiate starting the brighter and putting early pressure on the home side. Hutton withstood this pressure and the forwards began to assert their authority in the scrum and at lineouts allowing the back line to run good phases of play. After a flowing move, Hutton took the lead when the backs moved the ball from left to right and then back again to allow Ross Horton to dive over in the corner. The conversion drifted wide, 5-0. Both sides were matching each other in commitment, with Collegiates young back line looking to run the ball at every occasion. It was from a visitors attack that Hutton extended their lead, when Craig Cameron intercepted and raced clear to touch down under the posts, with Tobutts conversion making it 12-0. This score then spurred Collegiate into life, and following some good territorial kicking, they were putting pressure on the Hutton line. Then, after a break down the right wing, the visitors found themselves with an overlap on the opposite wing to touch down, and the conversion made it 12-7. It was Huttons turn to be on end of some bad luck, when a mistake in midfield landed in the hands of the Collegiate fly half who was left a free run to the line, and conversion gave the visitors the lead 14-12.

Trailing for the first time this season, Hutton knew they had to respond well after the half-time break. From the restart, Hutton claimed the ball and a long range penalty from Tobutt gave the home side the lead 15-14. The territory battle was becoming key and full back Dootson was revelling under the high ball and counter attacking at every opportunity. The game then swung back to Collegiate following a penalty in front of the posts. With twenty minutes remaining, Hutton trailed 17-15, and they began to play their rugby in the opponents 22. Some good kicks to the corner gave the home side more territory and from a resulting lineout, Hutton nearly forced their way over. But minutes later, a 5-metre scrum provided the base for no.8 Adi Harrison to drive over from close range. The conversion wasnt awarded so Hutton led by 20-17. A frantic final period saw the nerves tested in both sides but the home side kept their composure to set up another attack. From a lineout, Hutton rolled towards the line, and after being brought down short, Phil Caslake fed Harrison who wasnt to be stopped again, 25-17. Collegiate rallied, but tried in vain to breach the Hutton defence which was solid throughout the second half and gave little away. Hutton held out for the victory and secured their passage into the 5th round of the Vase.

Next week, attention turns back to league action with a home game against Clitheroe.

Tries: A.Harrison 2, B.Horton, C.Cameron

Cons: A.Tobutt

Pens: A.Tobutt

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching