Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Aspatria Colts v Fylde Colts
Your News Aspatria Colts v Fylde Colts

Having beaten Waterloo in the last league game of the colts season, Aspatria were now looking for a good run in the league plate competition to carry on their winning ways, a home draw against Fylde was their reward.

Fylde were sure to have a big strong pack and when they appeared from the bus, it certainly looked that way. Big, they were but, when the ref awarded the first scrum the Blackreds soon had them on the back foot, with their superior technique, the front 3 of Tarran Vailionis, Jon Sandwith and Joe Barrow too much for the Lancastrians to handle and after the initial 5 minute arm wrestle Aspatria were well on top and looking good.

The opening try came in about the eighth minute following some powerful forward play with great carries from Vailionis, Sandwith and Craig Rogerson, and some great rucking from the rest of the pack, scrum half Grant Law was given the perfect platform to play the ball as he wished and put in his best performance of the season, sending the ball out to a strong backline it went through hands until James Rourke blew away the opposition with his sheer speed, the try went unconverted.

The Aspatria forwards have performed well all season and combining this with a backline suddenly coming to form, things were looking good, with Dan Rayson masterminding every move in the centre it wasnt long before Rourke crossed the line again, this time Adam Birkett added the extras.

Fylde were reduced to 14 men following a shoulder injury to their inside centre and having no subs were unable to field a replacement and the home side took full advantage, when fly half Kristian Borthwick drew his tackler beautifully to give Rayson the opening to score his first of a great hat-trick of tries.

Fylde decided that trying to go through Aspatrias pack and midfield defence was futile and started to bomb Daniel Stockdale on the wing, big mistake as Stocky took it all in his stride and ran them back into the safety of his forwards crossing the gain line every time with his powerful running, so they switched sides and Max scales became the target and he did exactly the same as Stockdale, pushing deep into Fyldes territory, so they tried grubber kicks to break the black and red wall but full- back Rourke gathered those up and returned them with interest, and when flankers Richard Ridley and Conor Ryan ripped the ball from the opposition the ball flew along the backs for Rayson to get his second but again the wind took the ball away from the posts and the extras were missed.

Soon into the second half Aspatrias giant prop Tarran Vailionis had to leave the field with a back injury, much to the relief of the Fylde front row, but their jubilation was short lived as coaches Birkett and Benson shuffled the pack and James Ravell moved from the second row to his county position of tight head prop and carried on where Taz had left off wreaking havoc with the Fylde scrum. Pack leader Craig Rogerson rallied his men and once again Spyatri rumbled towards the line and the forwards showed that they too are pretty good with ball in hand but Fyldes defence held out for some time before Ravell forced his way through the mle to add to the score under the posts and Birkett added the extras. Fylde kicked too long from the kick off and the ball went directly into touch, and from the ensuing scrum Aspatria went on the attack again with the forwards rampaging up the field backed up beautifully by the back division and once again the whitewash was crossed by 2 Aspatria players Conor Ryan and Grant Law, both of whom are claiming the try, I couldnt see so they can share it.

More changes were made to get everybody a run out and Will Steel, Jamie Hine and Matthew Nichol came on to replace Stockdale, Ryan and centre Kieran Ritchie respectively, Fylde then had their best period while Aspatria adjusted to the changes a bout of poor tackling allowed the visitors to score twice before normal service was resumed, and the best try of the game came, when Rayson completed his hat-trick following a determined run from Joe Barrow and the backline, with the addition of at least 3 forwards moved the ball through hands, and Rayson stepped his way round the rest of the Fylde defence to finish off under the posts and again Birkett added the extra points.

The final whistle came with Aspatria on the attack again, but Fylde held on with some gutsy defending and managed to keep the young Blackreds from adding to the score. Aspatria 41 Fylde 10.

The next round is to be played on the 16th March at Bower Park when Blackburn are the opposition for the 3rd time this season, with the tally at 2-0 to Blackburn will the Blackreds be able to overcome them, come down and see for yourselves ko 1pm.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching