Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > North East Worcestershire Ravens RLFC 18 vs 44 Telford Raiders
Your News North East Worcestershire Ravens RLFC 18 vs 44 Telford Raiders

New Ravens were beaten 18 – 44 by table topping Telford Raiders with the score flattering the visitors as they scored 18 pts in the last 10 minutes of the game.

The first 20 mins was a real arm wrestle as both teams tried to unlock their opposite defences which were resolute and giving no quarter. The turning point was the sin binning of Ravens sean sudworth on 23 mins for an altercation whilst been tackled. The Raiders took advantage of the extra man as they scored 2 tries within 3 mins with both of them converted to take a 12 nil lead.

Things were not looking good as Bradley Sinclair was led off the field holding his shoulder which turned out to be broken collar bone which will see him miss the rest of the season.

Within minutes some pressure from the Ravens saw them awarded a penalty 20 metres out, the option to go for goal was taken with a successful kick from David Wimbury.

Just as it looked like the Raiders were stretching the Ravens defence to score again , they were thwarted as David Wimbury took an interception 5 metres from his own line and hared off down the hill only to be caught yards from the Raiders line, but a quick play the ball saw John Freeman to crash over for a try, this was converted by the returning sean sudworth to bring the Ravens back within 4 points.

Minutes later with the Ravens tails up and confidence back in the ranks,saw some expansive play to see Sean Flynn to go over in the corner, unfortunately not converted. With only minutes of the half to play it looked like the Ravens were going to go into half time level with the Raiders but on what could have been the last play of the half the Raiders found a chink in the Ravens defence to score from close range to give them a 16 – 12 advantage.

7 mins into the 2nd half saw the Ravens awarded another penalty from close range and took the option of going for goal again which was successful to bring them to within 2 points and were the Raiders were looking rattled as they looked like they weren’t expecting such tough opposition.

The Ravens organization started to go missing which was impeccable in the first half as key personnel were moved about due to injuries and the Raiders took advantage of this to score 2 unconverted tries to give them a 26 – 14 lead , but the Ravens were not to give up as they scored a try in the corner by Sean Flynn which had this been on TV would have been handed over to the video ref as the corner flag went over as he touched down.

The Raiders went on to score 18 points in the last 10 mins as the Ravens ran out of steam which also saw why they are top of the league.

The Ravens showed that if not for the sin binning and several injuries that they can compete with teams at the top and with the rub of the green will see them posting a victory against a top side.

Sean Flynn was adjudged to take the man of the match award just shading Rhamel Blake.

With the other results sees the Ravens still holding onto a play off place for the midlands cup.

The players and officials wish Brad Sinclair a speedy recovery.

Next Week sees the Ravens travel to take on the Northampton Demons.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching