Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Wallsend 54 - Seaham 0
Your News Wallsend 54 - Seaham 0

In what has become a recurring theme for Seaham, they yet again had a boat load of players missing for another league game. Andrew Baxter, John Dixon, Brad Green, Glen Hardie, Joey Jones, Stu Tisseman and Graeme Steel were missing from the backs. Meanwhile, the forwards were deprived of Mick Bland, Kelvin Bowdrey, Dan Cahill, Grant Dixon, Gary Lynn, Damian Martinez, Paul Scott and Mark Wilson

At least they could count on the services of player-coaches Jon Dye and Ryan Pink to instil enthusiasm into their beleaguered ranks. With young scrum half Brad Green missing due to a knee injury, coach coordinator John Whitehead slotted in and injected some fighting spirit into the team. With all of the pre-match disruptions taken into account, the eventual outcome of what should have been a close match carried an air of predictability.

Having been knocked out of bed to make up the team, Ryan Giblin, playing out of position was caught flat-footed in the fifth minute and let the Wallsend winger in for a soft try. The added conversion rubbed salt into the wound and Seahams fans wondered if it was going to be one of those days.

Their spirits were buoyed four minutes later when powerful prop Jonny Martin broke through the Wallsend ranks and set off on a barnstorming run that took him to the edge of the opposition 22. Unfortunately, he was brought to the floor and Wallsend were able to clear their lines to alleviate the pressure.

Seaham maintained a good tempo to the game but seemed to be penalised by Northumberland referee John Ash every time they looked to be making any progress. This led to the Harbour players becoming increasingly frustrated. This was highlighted on 19 minutes when the hosts left wing tore up the flank and got a pass infield after being tackled by Mac Stancliff. The pass looked a good metre forward yet Mr Ash allowed play to go on and the hosts crossed for a second try to go 12-0 ahead.

Seahams plight worsened on 26 minutes when they were reduced to 14 men after the referee grew tired of their continuous cynical play at the breakdown. Graham Aldus was accused of handling in a ruck and issued a yellow card.

Seaham held out for the ten minutes that Aldus was off and even created some clever attacking opportunities. However, their tackling looked feeble at times; particularly when they allowed the opposition centre, who must have weighed at least 145kg, to clumsily sidestep his way through their lines and make a total mockery of their mobility.

Just when everything seemed to be going well with the interval approaching, John Whitehead threw a stray pass behind his try line that Jack McCallum was forced to touch down and concede a 5 metre scrum. A third score was registered when Wallsend broke left and touched down for a converted try.

Half Time: Wallsend (19) SEAHAM (0)

Wallsend secured a bonus point three minutes into the second half when they their scrum half dummied past Ryan Giblin to touch down for a try and put his side 26-0 ahead.

Although the game had been played in reasonably controlled spirits, in spite of little niggles from both sides, the referee decided to clamp down in the 56th minute when he spotted John Whitehead tussling with one of the Wallsend second rows and yellow carded both.

Wallsend made the most of the imposed 14-a-side game to register their fifth try of the game three minutes later. The added conversion took their lead to 33-0.

Seaham were temporarily reduced to 13 men after Graham Aldus received treatment for a nasty cut on the top of his head. This occurred when one of the home forwards ungraciously stamped on his head after mistaking it for the match ball... or at least that was his excuse in the bar afterwards.

Wallsend notched their sixth touchdown of the game as a result of an overly ambitious cross-field kick by John Whitehead that went astray. One of the hosts backs read it well, caught the ball and ran upfield for a converted try and a 40-point lead.

Still, Seaham battled forward with Chris Bland and James Ramshaw in the ascendancy. Jon Dye made some characteristic line-breaking runs but the hosts defended well. Second rows Bland and Andy Hogwood and young hooker Kurt Miller continued to pile into the opposition but to no avail.

Wallsend absorbed everything that Seaham could throw at them and counter-attacked downfield for the final two scores of the game to emerge convincing victors. However, players and officials from both sides readily acknowledged that the score wasnt an accurate reflection of the visitors efforts.

Perhaps some of the prodigal sons will return to grace their teams ranks for the next home game with Whitley Bay Rockcliff. Otherwise, the slack attitude that was prevalent when they were in Durham & Northumberland Division 3 may well result in a hasty return back there.

Full Time: Wallsend (54) SEAHAM (0)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching