Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Back to winning ways
Your News Back to winning ways

Glasgow Hawks 23 Biggar 9

One Purple Patch Enough to Secure Hawks Win

Despite the scoreline this proved to be one of the tightest games seen at Old Anniesland this season. Once again the spectators got value for money especially as the game ran for 90 minutes with 50 being played in the second half.

In the first game against Biggar at Haretree Mill Hawks ran up a substantial score of 45 -6 but this was a different Biggar side on Saturday as there appeared to b e more Kiwi accents than south Lanarkshire.

Old Anniesland was in excellent condition despite the heavy rain during the week and the day dawned bright and cold with only a light breeze. Perfect conditions for players and spectators alike and the players responded, keeping their supporters on the edge of their seats right to the final moment and the grand climax that was to come.

The Hawks side were missing a few regulars, Grant Strang and Davie Milne injured, Ross Miller in Singapore with the Scotland 7s squad and Tom Steven arriving at the ground but unable to play. The latter was replaced by the evergreen Stuart Low who had been looking for an easy afternoon entertaining his new baby

From the start Biggar made clear their intentions and put Hawks under pressure. Within a minute they were in the lead from a penalty by their left winger H. Wilbore. 10 minutes later they repeated the doze to lead by 6 points.

Throughout the first quarter Hawks had squandered possession by too much aimless kicking that allowed the competent Biggar back division to run back at them and keep the pressure on.

As the game entered the second quarter Hawks got back into it with good rucking and mauling and keeping the ball in hand. Now it was Biggars turn to concede penalties and Mike Adamson kicked one in the 26th and another in the 36th minute to level the scores at 6-6.

In the incident leading up to the second Adamson penalty the Biggar No.6 G.Owens was yellow carded and this was to cost Biggar dear.

Half Time 6-6

Whatever was said to Hawks at half time should be recorded and inserted into an inspirational manual because Hawks returned to the field completely fired up.

Within 3 minutes they had scored two excellent team tries finished off with two pieces of brilliance. The first almost from the start was created by James Gormley when he made a clear break through the centre of the field. He was stopped just inside the 22 and a ruck created. Quick ball followed and that man Gormley was off again and this time he had the power and pace to score in the corner. 11-6

Straight from the kick off Hawks returned to the attack and drove the ball deep into the opposition 22 and this time it was recycled quickly and Paddy Bowyer, who had replaced Haddon McPherson, had the pace to outstrip the defence and score in the same corner as the earlier try.


Had Hawks been able to retain this momentum it would surely have lead to a cricket score but from that moment until the last move of the game it was Hawks defensive qualities that were to prove to be successful.

Throughout the second half Biggar launched attack after attack but were unable to pierce the defence. Hawks still looked dangerous when they broke out of the shackles but on virtually every occasion they were penalised for going over the ball and the momentum was lost. This is an area of the game that referees need to look at carefully as the interpretation varies tremendously and the players are confused about what is and what is not allowed.

With the game nearing its conclusion Biggar became desperate and time and again they spun the ball in an effort to secure that elusive try.

With 5 minutes remaining Rory McKay was yellow carded for coming through a gap in the line out and intercepting the scum halfs pass? Hawks now had to defend with their lives.

Finally as the game reached the 50th minute of the half a Biggar move broke down on the touchline and Tony Herron gratefully grabbed it and ran 85 metres to score under the posts. Mike Adamson kicked the conversion and the referee, to the relief of the Hawks coaching team and supporters blew the final whistle.

After the match the Biggar officials said that this was their teams best performance of the season. If they can keep the momentum going they could do Hawks a lot of favours.

Hawks are still in second position in the league as it shuts down for the autumn test series. Over the next three weeks the cup programme takes over and next Saturday Hawks travel to Dumfries and on Friday evening 16th November Greenock Wanderers are the visitors to Old Anniesland for a floodlit game.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching