Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Beckenham 14 - Wimbledon 15
Your News Beckenham 14 - Wimbledon 15

Matches between these two clubs are historically close and usually the home team wins, this time it was as close as it could get and the away team won to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

Before this match Wimbledon had made six changes and two more positional from the team that started last week against Cobham. For the first half-hour play was in the centre of the pitch with neither side threatening to mount an attack, mistakes in handling were plentiful. Wimbledon started by showing good defensive organisation and good clearances and chases were made by full back Miles Stringer and scrum-half Tommy Moore. But Beckenham came on the attack and only a knock-on by their right wing prevented a try wide out. This was followed up by a drive from a lineout and their hooker Liam Markey scoring a forwards try, the conversion by outside half James Clirr was fairly straightforward.

This was against the run of play where Wimbledon had achieved dominance in the scrum which they held throughout. The Beckenham line-out also showed early season rustiness and Wimbledon managed to steal ball at important times in the match. Just before half time Wimbledon were awarded a penalty after Beckenham’s no.8 was penalised and outside half Neil Hallett made no mistake. With a second half wind behind them Beckenham took up territory near to the Wimbledon line and finally their no.1 Tommy Bateman scored under the posts, the conversion followed and Wimbledon were 14 – 3 behind. Their best passage of play followed as a series of big scrums put the Beckenham pack under pressure and took Wimbledon up the field, after 12 minutes a try on the right wing followed for Wimbledon no.6 Jamie Doubleday, but the conversion attempt was missed.

After more defence on 75 minutes a thrilling break-out try from Wimbledon’s 10 metre line followed after right wing Leon Driscoll passed to Tommy Moore who’s perfectly timed and weighted pass to centre Dan Brown allowed Driscoll again to loop round and make the touch down. This time the conversion was made and for the first time Wimbledon were ahead. A final chance followed deep in injury time to increase the lead when Beckenham went off their feet in the tackle just 20m out and in front of the posts. Into the wind the kick was missed and Wimbledon had to defend out the final minutes of the match for a win that gives the coaches much to work on.

Mention should also be made of Wimbledon stalwart Paul Smith who took the flag and acted as Touch Judge again after many years. Also to the 2nd XV playing at home who achieved a notable victory over Sutton & Epsom 2nd XV. Next week Wimbledon First XV will be at home to Sidcup with a 3.00pm kick-off.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching