Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 0 - Redcar 80
Your News Seaham 0 - Redcar 80

For the second week in succession, Seahams ranks were badly depleted due to a plague of non-availabilities, cry-offs and no-shows. Taking into account the fact that they were playing a strong promotion-chasing Redcar outfit on a winning streak, the overall outcome was rather predictable.

The visitors had a well-drilled and highly disciplined look about them and were quick out of the blocks when it came to scoring. They worked a clever overlap with a wide pass and their left wing touched down in the corner for a try that was converted on 4 minutes.

A minute later Redcars powerful inside centre bounced his way through the entire Seaham defence and a try looked inevitable. Fortunately for the hosts, they were let off the hook when a handling error brought the movement to an abrupt end and enabled them the opportunity to clear their lines from the resulting scrum.

Seahams plight was compounded in the 14th minute when Houghton referee Derek English issued Brad Smith with a yellow card after he had foolishly interfered with play to prevent a quick tap penalty being taken. Had the young scrum half heeded Mr Englishs general warning relating to cynical play a couple of seconds earlier, the outcome may well have been avoided.

Redcar took immediate advantage and scored a pushover try and conversion from the resulting scrum to double the lead to 14-0. A third try was registered in the 21st minute when one of the visitors backs dummied his way through for an unconverted try.

Seaham were reduced to 13 men two minutes later when centre Ryan Giblin paid the price for persistent infringements and was sent behind the posts for a 10-minute rest. Fortunately for the hosts, the errant Green returned to the fray within a minute.

The Redcar left wing looked set to score in the corner, after dancing his way through a lacklustre Seaham defence. However, a despairing chase down and shove from Chris Bland guided him into touch two metres from the line. Bland must have put some force into his shove because the winger ended up landing on the cinder path beyond the dead ball line.

Nevertheless, the Redcar tsunami continued to batter away at Seahams defensive wall and a further three converted tries were racked up to turn them around with a convincing half-time lead.

Half Time: SEAHAM (0) Redcar (40)

Although the visitors continued their irresistible offensive following the break, Seaham knuckled down and held them at bay. Several attacks were launched by flying full Glen Hardie, but his primary role was a defensive one, and he put in a series of big hits to prevent scores on more than one occasion.

Up front, the Seaham front row of Matty Jackson, Kurt Miller and Jonny Martin put in a solid display against a well-organised Redcar pack. Mick Bland was a strong force in the lineout, and Andy Hogwood and John Dixon made some battering runs up the middle of the park, yet still the odds were against them due to Redcars competitive edge in all phases of play.

Redcar absorbed all of their hosts pressure with a highly disciplined and well-marshalled defensive effort then delivered a sucker punch with a converted try once theyd retained possession. Seaham now found themselves 47-0 down and may have wondered how they were ever going to get on the scoreboard after so much hard work without reward.

Still, Seaham battled on and worked the phases upfield. Replacement prop Gary Lynn, on for Matty Jackson, came close to scoring on 51 minutes when he barrelled his way through the Redcar defence and crossed the try line. Unfortunately, he had three defenders beneath him and was unable to ground the ball.

Seahams resolve received a punishing blow when big blindside flanker Chris Bland was forced off the field with a suspected broken thumb. Seahams back row appears to have been cursed with skipper Ben Bell, James Ramshaw, Grant Dixon, Mark Wilson and now Bland all on the sidelines.

As the game entered its final quarter, and Seaham began to tire, the visitors seemed to move up a gear and recorded a further five tries, four converted, to end with a handsome and well-deserved victory.

Full Time: SEAHAM (0) Redcar (80)

Seaham chairman commented:

Today was always going to be an uphill struggle for us courtesy of the sheer number of lads we have unavailable to play at the moment. Our lads should take pride from knowing they prevented Redcar scoring 100 points, as this appeared to be their main objective as the game wore on.

Regardless of the calibre of the opposition, we will continue to have our work cut out at this level unless we can attract the levels of commitment to playing and attending training that this club deserves.

Weve endured terrible luck with injuries so far this season; particularly in the back row. We also have numerous squad members with more pressing work commitments. However, we also have a number of individuals who fall into neither of these categories yet still fail to turn up. Now is the time for them to come out of hibernation and show their mettle.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching