Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor

Hawks Continue to Soar

Hamilton 25 Glasgow Hawks 37

In a highly entertaining game at Laigh Bent Hawks completed the first of two tricky consecutive away games with a 5 tries to 3 victory against a highly competitive Hamilton side who simply would not lie down and roll over despite the game being away from them at the start of the final quarter.

Hawks won this game mainly by the strength of their defence and the power of their tackling. The Hamilton backline must have felt claustrophobic as time after time, in the first threequarters of this game, there was always a defender in their space and this lead to errors that Hawks were very quick to capitalise on. Up front things were pretty even with neither side dominating. Hawks had concerns before the match that they might have problems in the tight scrums especially as Hamilton had recruited Gaston Ibarburu a Uruguayan International prop forward. Their fears were unfounded as the front row is improving with every game. By the end the Hawks forwards were often driving their opponents backwards only to be regularly penalised by the referee much to the annoyance of the Hawks supporters.

It only took Hawks 5 minutes to get on the scoreboard. A penalty was punched into the corner by Mike Adamson and the lineout secured. Slick handling across the backline and David Milne gave Tom Steven a perfect lay-off pass and the big winger scorched over for a try converted by Mike Adamson 0-7

Almost from the kick off Hawks were caught offside at a ruck and Hamiltons No.10 Owen McLeish landed a good kick to bring the score to 3-7.

In the 16th minute Hawks were awarded a kickable penalty but they were playing with so much confidence that they opted for a kick to the corner and from the subsequent lineout Rory McKay picked up and plunged over. Mike Adamson landed a good conversion and Hawks lead by 3-14.

Shortly after the restart kick two Hawks collided and Ross Miller had to leave the field to be replaced by Stephen Leckie.

In the 27th minute Hamilton were awarded a penalty just outside Hawks 22 and the Hawks players assumed they were going to kick for goal. Hamilton took a quick tap and found that the Hawks defence was asleep and nipped over for a smart converted try. This was the first try that Hawks had conceded in four league matches.

Hamilton now had their tails up and put Hawks under pressure with a series of rucks on the line. Hawks defended valiantly and eventually cleared the danger however they were penalised on the halfway line for a late tackle and Owen McLeish landed a monster kick to take them right back into the game at 13-14.

Hawks urgently needed to get back into the game and they did just that. In the 38th minute, after a bout of good handling, Tom Steven escaped up the left wing and was stopped inches short of the line. Mike Martin cleverly backed up and plunged over.

13-19 Half Time

The first half had been a mixed bag for Hawks. During the first quarter they seemed to have the game well under control but simple errors started to creep in allowing Hamilton to come back into the game. The second quarter was, except for the late try, mainly in favour of Hamilton.

With the stiff breeze in favour of Hawks it was going to be an interesting second half and so it proved.

Within 2 minutes Hawks had extended their lead when Mike Adamson knocked over a penalty. 13-22

10 minutes later a Hamilton attack broke down on halfway and Mike Adamson scooped up the ball and ran unopposed to the line for a try.


2 minutes later he kicked another penalty to extend Hawks lead to a comfortable 13-30

In the 20th minute Hawks completed their scoring. Mike Adamson dropped a delightful little kick into the path of Tom Steven and he beat two defenders to the ball and raced over from 40 metres. Mike Adamson converted. 13-37.

In the final quarter Hamilton fought back valiantly. Although Hawks had a lot of pressure during this spell they seemed to have displeased the referee Graeme Wells as he awarded a plethora of penalties against them and yellow carded prop forward Chris Barnes.

In the 65th minute after a period of relentless pressure on the Hawks line Hamilton scrum half, Stevie Turnbull dived over the top of a ruck and was awarded a try converted by the ever reliable Owen McLeish.

Hard as Hawks tried in the remaining 15 minutes they couldnt score again and the game ended with another penalty being awarded to Hamilton. They kicked it into the corner and had the strength to get over against the depleted Hawks pack.


This young Hawks side are really beginning to find their feet.

Calum Kerr has been a real find at hooker and with Jack McFarlane Hawks now have cover in that position, vacated by the now retired Eric Milligan. Sean Yacoubian, the 17 year old scrum half and slightly older Andy Fleming and Tony Herron are all worthy of the places in the back division. In the pack 18 year old prop forward Chris Barnes is another welcome addition to the pack. There are others on the fringe of the 1st XV and Hawks are beginning to look as if they are recovering from the disappointments of last season.

Slowly but surely Hawks are blooding their new players and finding that they are responding. Peter Redmayne came in for the injured Grant Strang and had an outstanding game

Club Rugby at this level is good entertainment and offers an enjoyable afternoon out in good company and comfortable surroundings. It is just a pity that the national press do not recognise this and give it the publicity that it deserves.

Hawks remain top of the league one point ahead of Selkirk. The two clubs meet next Saturday at Poynder Park in what is sure to be a cracker. All Hawks supporters are encouraged to travel to the Borders and give the team a cheer.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching