Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hartleppol BBOB 0 - Seaham 82
Your News Hartleppol BBOB 0 - Seaham 82

After a two-week break from league rugby, Seaham travelled down to the Old Friarage in optimistic spirits and were buoyed by a large and strong squad.

The Harbour got off to a flying start and almost opened the scoring in the third minute when full back Graeme Steel made a clean break through Brigades midfield. However, rather than pin his ears back, he slowed down and looked for support before being tackled.

Less than a minute later, Jack McCallum succeeded where Steel had failed when he spotted a gap in the defence and crossed the line near the posts for the first try of the day. Brad Green had a simple conversion attempt but his effort sailed under the bar; this caused the large band of travelling supporters to erupt with howls of laughter and derision.

Player-coach Jon Dye decimated the opposition defence with a scything run and found himself under the Brigade posts. Rather than touch the ball down himself, he generously passed to scrum half Green; who touched down to pass the 100-point mark with his sixth try of the season. He also added the conversion to take the score to 12-0.

The game became somewhat disjointed for the following ten minutes as one or two of the Brigade players endured bad luck with injuries. They were reduced to 14 men at one stage whilst one of their forwards received attention for a knock on the back of the head but, credit to them, they carried on and made a game of it.

Veteran prop Steve Meir was enjoying a solid game in all areas and a strong drive from him took Seaham very close to Brigades line. A ruck was formed after Meir was tackled and fellow prop Paul Scott drove over for the third try of the day to go 17-0 ahead. Green missed the conversion.

The ball was safely gathered from the restart and fly half McCallum kicked over the top of the defence for Andrew Baxter to gather and charge forward. Livewire flanker James Ramshaw followed up in support but Seaham were penalised for crossing.

Jon Dye made another characteristic break on 22 minutes and showed the Brigade defence a clean pair of heels before touching down in the top right corner for a try. Graeme Steel attempted a difficult conversion from the right touchline but it sailed narrowly wide so the lead remained at 22 points but, more importantly, Seaham had earned a valuable bonus point.

Right winger Stuart Tisseman got in on the scoring on 25 minutes following a fine handling move that involved Baxter, Hardie, Dye and Green. He finished the move off by crossing in the top right corner then running under the posts. Greens second kick of the day stretched the lead to 29-0.

Tisseman doubled his tally two minutes later following some slick handling amongst the Seaham backs. Graham Aldus powered through Brigades midfield and drew in several tacklers before offloading to the right wing, who ran over the line and touched down under the posts for a sixth try of the day, converted by Green.

Seaham had time for a seventh try when McCallum sold his opposite number an outrageous dummy then tore through the gap and into the Brigade 22. He then offloaded to Ramshaw who was on hand to cross for a try. Green kicked the conversion and referee Adam Morrison blew early for the interval.

Half Time: Hartlepool BBOB (0) SEAHAM (43)

Brigade emerged for the second half in much more determined spirits and held a hungry Harbour offensive at bay for the opening six minutes. However, they succumbed to Seahams pressure when Steel made a clever break before offloading to Mark Wilson. He carried the ball 30 metres before delivering a scoring pass to Ramshaw for his second of the day in the bottom right corner. Green missed the conversion so the score remained 48-0.

Dye registered his second try of the day four minutes later when he made a break through the midfield before crossing under the posts. Once again, Green missed the conversion and it became apparent that Seaham were doing their points difference no great favours due to their extremely poor form with the boot.

Joey Jones came on as a replacement around the 55 minute mark and scored with virtually his first touch of the ball. A clever break by Ramshaw made good territory and Baxter carried the move on before offloading to Jones, who crossed for his ninth try of the season in the bottom left corner to stretch the lead to 58 points. Steel was unsuccessful with the conversion.

Both sides enjoyed a moment of light relief on 64 minutes when the Brigade scrum half picked from the base of a ruck near his own try line and attempted to clear his lines. Unfortunately, for the referee, he found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and the ball caught him a beauty full in the face. He hit the floor as if felled by a haymaker but was soon back on his feet.

A minute after the restart, Jon Dye registered his hat-trick when he finished off a move near the posts. Big second row Andy Hogwood then demonstrated how a conversion should be taken to stretch the score to 65-0.

Second row partner John Dixon registered an incredible twelfth try of the season two minutes later when he found himself on the end of a sweeping move to take the lead to 70 points with a try in the left corner. Hogwoods second kick of the day was less successful.

Scrum half Green broke the Brigade defensive lines with an elusive 69th minute run that took him close to their try line before being tackled. He laid off a fine pass to Ramshaw and the flying flanker crossed for his hat-trick. Henry Brace made the score 77-0 with the added conversion.

Ramshaw recorded his fourth try of the day - and Seahams fourteenth - in the 72nd minute to finish the scoring and record Seahams highest score of the season... hopefully, so far.

Full Time: Hartlepool BBOB (0) SEAHAM (82)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching