Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hereford 10 - Fylde 30
Your News Hereford 10 - Fylde 30

This was an excellent performance by a young Fylde team against spirited and physical opposition in this 1st round EDF National trophy tie. Hereford, the leaders of Midlands Two (West), had chosen their strongest squad and were very motivated in what was a great chance to give a National League side a bloody nose. The Hereford forwards were as big as their Lancastrian opponents and theirs was a direct and forceful approach.

But Fylde dominated the match pretty much throughout. Their half-backs - experienced scrum-half Martin Wallwork and debutant fly-half Ryan Miemczyk - controlled the game skilfully. The visitors' pack provided the foundation for the open back play that followed. The Fylde scrummage featuring props Andrew Irving & Ted Scott carried on in the same manner as against Harrogate the week before and pushed the Hereford eight around. The backrow of Dan Palmer, Mark Briggs and debutant Mark Stephenson was outstanding and dominated the tackle breakdown area. And lock Alistair Atkinson, returning to 1st team action after a year away, had a storming 2nd half.

Ryan Miemczyk kicked a penalty to give Fylde an early lead. This was soon followed by the opening try from a scrummage five metres from the Hereford line. No 8 Mark Briggs picked up from the base of the scrum and plunged over. Miemczyk missed the conversion but Fylde had a 8-0 lead.

Fylde suffered when fullback Mike Waywell, who had started off strongly and gained a lot of ground with booming touch kicks, was forced off once more with a recurring foot injury. Although Fylde had a lot of possession in the 1st half they didn't use it as productively as they might have done for their attacks were rather too individualistic. The score remained at 8-0 as the referee blew for half-time.

Fylde started the 2nd half in rejuvenated style and blitzed the Hereford defence. Between 40 & 60 minutes they added four tries through excellent combined forwards and backs movement. Replacement debutant fullback Jack Ward scored the first and this was quickly followed by other tries by flanker Dan Palmer, Ryan Miemczyk & the sponsors Man of the Match winger Matt Gargett, who was also making his 1st team debut. One of these was converted by Miemczyk. By the time centre David Wiseman retired with a dead leg on 60 minutes Fylde had a 30-3 lead.

Hereford didn't give in and responded gamely. Their cause was helped when Fylde debutant lock Matt Thompson was sinbinned in the final quarter and the home side took advantage by notching a late consolation converted try.

Fylde were more than worth their final 30-10 victory margin.

Fylde Director of Rugby Mark Nelson said: "I was particularly pleased that the 12 or so players coming into the team bought into Fylde's new system of play. This involves a game plan with a series of patterns and set moves. The incoming players put their hands up and bought into the Fylde ethic. A number of these were young students and they were a credit to the Club.

"We were missing some 20 players through injury, unavailability and the need to rest others. The fact that the Club was still able to field five senior sides in cup competitions, and to do very well, shows the depth of talent we have at the moment. We are attracting some fine talent from universities and local schools."

Fylde go through to the EDF National Trophy 2nd round to be played on Saturday, 22nd November.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching