Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 30 - South Tyneside College 0
Your News Seaham 30 - South Tyneside College 0

After enduring a rare defeat against a strong Barnard Castle outfit last week, Seahams players emerged from the dressing room with a positive outlook for a potentially challenging game against South Tyneside College. The visitors had enjoyed a handsome victory over Hartlepool BBOB the previous week, so their potential was not to be underestimated.

Although they got off to a relatively slow start, the hosts began to dig deep and increase their work rate. The home pack put the squeeze on the opposition and this forced them into conceding a penalty in front of their posts. This was duly knocked over by Brad Green for a 3-0 advantage.

The first try of the day was created when skipper Ben Bell broke away from a great driving effort from his forwards and fed fly half Jack McCallum. The lively young fly half then worked a clever switch with centre Jon Dye, who made an excellent break through the visitors defensive lines before offloading to second row John Dixon. The second row then crossed in the bottom left corner for his eleventh try of the season to put Seaham 8-0 ahead. However, Brad Green enjoyed less success with his conversion attempt from out wide.

Grant Dixon scored the second try of the game several minutes later when he picked from the base of a ruck and powered his way over in the bottom right corner to take to score to 13-0. Once again, with the angle being difficult, Green was unsuccessful with the conversion.

On a dour note, influential player-coach Jon Dye was forced to leave the field in the 25th minute after taking a big hit which left his shoulder in a sore state. John Dixon took his place in the centres. The visitors showed good attacking potential in parts but Seaham defended valiantly and held their lines.

In spite of all of their good work in attack and defence, Seahams efforts were hampered just before the interval when Grant Dixon was spotted handling in a ruck and sent to the sin bin by referee Philip Walton.

Half Time: SEAHAM (13) South Tyneside College (0)

The second half saw the visitors try to battle their way back into the game following a stern half-time lecture from their skipper. However, Seahams lines held firm with Ben Bell tackling every black shirt that moved and marshalling his troops well. Mark Wilson and powerful centre Graham Aldus also showed good form and hit some clever angles in attack to keep the Harbour going in the right direction.

Seahams third try of the day was scored by Glen Hardie following passes between Mark Wilson and John Dixon. The ball was then fed through virtually every pair of hands available before the flame-haired full back ghosted between the outside centre and winger before touching down in the right corner for the eighth time this season.

Seaham earned a valuable bonus point on 56 minutes when the ball was sent through every pair of hands in the backline. Fly half Jack McCallum looped around and took a nicely timed pass from Brad Green before swallow-diving over in the corner. The conversion attempt was missed but the hosts were buzzing by now.

Second row Chris Bland enjoyed a strong performance in the second row and appears to be growing in stature and confidence with every game. His partner in the engine room, big Andy Hogwood, also got in on the scoring act when he bulldozed his way over for a fifth try late in the game following yet another expansive handling move. Grant Dixon took over the kicking duties and added his teams first conversion of the day to take the score to 30-0.

The visitors may justifiably claim that the scoreline wasnt a fair reflection of the pattern of the play. Their youthful backline had enjoyed a fair share of possession but inexperience may have led to them taking the wrong options at times. No doubt, with a little patience and determination, their time will come and theyll find a way of converting possession into points on the board.

On the other hand, after so many seasons of losing games narrowly to the College, and viewing them as something of a bogey team, Seaham were delighted when the final whistle was blown and they celebrated a league double over the opposition for the fourth occasion this season. This feat would never have been dreamed of a mere two seasons ago; and is a measure of the vast progress made by the Harbour Lads.

Full Time: SEAHAM (30) South Tyneside College (0)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching