Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Jarrovians 7 - Seaham 29
Your News Jarrovians 7 - Seaham 29

High-flying Seaham travelled to Lukes Lane with a gale force wind threatening to have an adverse effect on a potentially entertaining fixture. The visitors werent about to underestimate their South Tyneside hosts; they had, after all, done them a big favour a fortnight previously by overhauling leaders Houghton 18-8 and enabling the Harbour Lads to leapfrog them at the top of the table.

The hosts looked good value for money in the opening stages with their heavy pack putting a squeeze on Seahams eight. Front row forwards Paul Scott, Dan Cahill and Gary Lynn had seldom been troubled prior to this fixture but they were made to work hard on this occasion and put under intense pressure in the scrums.

Fortunately, Seaham were able to withstand the pressure without conceding any scores and they gradually settled into the game and begin to exert their influence with some fine counter-attacking. Jarrovians did eventually cause the visitors to transgress after 18 minutes when James Ramshaw was penalised for handling on the floor near halfway. With the wind at his back, the hosts fly half kicked his effort well but it fell just short.

Seaham were spurred into action from the restart and began to enjoy a good spell. Following a sustained period of pressure, in which the ball went through at least a dozen phases, the visitors patience was rewarded. Brad Green fed Graham Aldus and the powerful centre rampaged through the midfield before offloading to fellow centre Jon Dye. The player-coach sucked in two tacklers before delivering a neat scoring pass to winger Stuart Tisseman, who crossed in the right corner for a try. The conversion was missed by Graeme Steel but, with 24 minutes gone, Seaham looked good value for their lead; particularly considering that they were kicking into a strong wind and had enjoyed a lions share of possession.

The hosts had an opportunity to level the scores on the half-hour mark when they broke out of defence and displayed some clever handling and recycling that took them deep into Seaham territory. With the ball sprayed wide, and the Seaham defence committed, they looked certain to score, but a superb cover tackle by Jon Dye prevented the score and forced his man into touch.

Seaham continued to attack at every opportunity with Mark Wilson, Ben Bell and John Dixon supporting the dynamic James Ramshaw in the thick of the action. Their efforts lad to good territorial gain and Jack McCallum found himself with the try line beckoning, only to be forced into touch desperately short of the line. Grant Dixon, playing out of position alongside his brother in the second row, also carried the ball strongly at every opportunity and came close to scoring. However, his fellow forwards were a little too eager and went over the top and were penalised by referee Michael Hannon. The penalty clearance found touch and half-time was signalled.

Half Time: Jarrovians (0) SEAHAM (5)

When the Jarrovians tight head prop went off injured at the break, Seaham coach John Whitehead decided to rest Paul Scott after the interval and he made way for prodigal son, Barry Siddle. He slotted straight into the front row and his experience with ball in hand proved invaluable.

The visitors stretched their lead on 42 minutes when they took a quick scrum heel 30 metres from the Jarrovians line. Brad Green dummied outside and popped a neat pass inside to Jon Dye. The slick running centre made a clean break through the defence and charged over unopposed for the second try of the day under the posts. Steel added the conversion this time for a 12-0 advantage.

Crisp handling and patient working of the phases saw Seaham gradually work their way closer to the try line once again approaching 53 minutes. Another bulldozing run from crash centre Graham Aldus sucked in much of the Jarrovians defence and Stuart Tisseman was once again on the receiving end of an offload to cross for his second try of the day. Steels conversion took Seaham 19-0 ahead and they looked determined to run away with the game.

The hosts pulled a score back in controversial circumstances just short of the hour. The ball was carried deep within Seaham territory and went loose. Jack McCallum pounced to secure possession but appeared to be caught by a dubious looking knee to the head. Unfortunately for Seaham, Mr Hannon didnt witness this indiscretion but did notice Seaham handling on the floor and awarded a penalty. A quick penalty was taken and one of the Jarrovians props touched down to narrow the deficit to 19-5.

Seaham were next on the scoreboard after 70 minutes when elusive running centre Jon Dye received a pass and crossed in the right corner for his second try of the day to earn his team a valuable bonus point. Steel launched a magnificent touchline conversion attempt but the wind only just failed to bring it home and it struck the post.

Replacement hooker Andrew Baxter, on for Dan Cahill, made his presence felt in all areas of the pitch; although Coach Whitehead vented his frustrations at the veteran for kicking possession away needlessly. Needless to say, he made amends on 74 minutes when his fellow forwards disrupted an opposition lineout and he stole the ball, spotted a gap in the defensive line and charged over the line for his second try in as many weeks.

The dominant Harbour Lads maintained the ascendancy and looked to run up a high score with the match already in the bag. Credit to the opposition though, who made a mockery of their second-bottom league placing. They defended stubbornly and put an end to any aspirations Seaham may have had of breaching the 30-point mark.

Full Time: Jarrovians (5) SEAHAM (29)

Seaham club chairman Neil Roseberry was full of praise for his players as they took their unbeaten run to seven games

Our lads are serving their club and community well at the moment. Not only are they playing fine rugby; they are playing for the full 80 minutes and reaping the rewards with some great form. It was only two seasons ago that wed match teams for an hour then run out of steam, miss tackles and concede soft scores.

I cant praise our coach John Whitehead enough. His hard work in training is paying dividends and all of the moves he advocates midweek are coming through in games. The future looks very promising at the moment.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching