Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Horden 3XV 10 - Seaham 51
Your News Horden 3XV 10 - Seaham 51

Seaham travelled to Welfare Park on the back of a five-game winning streak; knowing that a stern test lay ahead if they were to make it six in a row. After struggling for numbers for some time, the hosts found themselves a man down approaching kick off so Steve Wilkinson stuck his hand up and donned a blue shirt for Horden.

After playing so many league fixtures, a long-awaited friendly enabled coach Johnny Whitehead the opportunity to put some of his tried and tested players in experimental positions and blood one or two of the newer faces such as Stuart Fowler and Lewis Davison in the forwards. Speedy youngster Neil Andrew also had a run out in the backs and new player-coach Jon Dye made his debut in the centres.

The hosts were first on the scoreboard after 11 minutes when they took a lineout catch 10 metres from the Seaham line and worked a rolling maul over the whitewash for a try.

Seaham demonstrated some crisp handling with Jack McCallum orchestrating matters from fly half and their efforts were rewarded on 17 minutes. Taking a leaf out of his fathers book, he took a pass from the edge of the Horden 22 and weaved his way through the defence at a blistering pace before touching down to the right of the posts. With the conversion missed by Graeme Steel, a fine game of rugby was evenly balanced at 5-5.

The hosts regained the lead on 23 minutes when they worked their way down the bank and sprayed the ball right. Neil Andrew found himself outnumbered and, in spite of a brave tackle by the youngster, Horden regained the lead with a try by their right wing.

Ryan Giblin tied the scores for the second time in the 34th minute with his second try of the day. Very much as he had with his first try, he demonstrated a frightening turn of pace to outstrip the opposition and cross the line virtually untouched from 25 metres out.

Jon Dye made his presence felt from the restart with some cutting runs and clever offloads. Seahams backs found themselves with more space and began to take control of the game. Following a jinking run by Glen Hardie, his forwards recycled possession and Gary Lynn took the ball 25 metres out. The burly prop then bulldozed his way through two tackles before swallow diving over the line Chris Ashton style for his fourth try of the season; much to the amusement of the Seaham supporters. This time, the try was complemented by Steels conversion so the lead was stretched to 17-10.

The visitors built on their lead two minutes later when a fine back row move saw Dan Cahill launch off on a powerful 40 metre run that would have taken him over the try line had it not been for some excellent cover defence. Luckily for the visitors, John Dixon was right on hand to take possession and drive over the line for his fourth try of the season.

Speedy youngster Glen Hardie stretched the lead to 27-10 with the last play of the half when he bombed up the left touchline before outpacing the defence and touching down under the posts. Although it should have been a formality, the conversion was fluffed by John Dixon and the referee blew for half-time.

Half Time: Horden III (10) SEAHAM (27)

Seaham picked up the pace following the break and seemed to pose constant problems for the home defence. Veteran replacement Henry Brace opened his try account for the season when he finished off a move down the left flank to touch down in the corner. Steel added a fine conversion attempt from the touchline to put Seaham 34-10 ahead.

Glen Hardie notched his sixth try of the season on 48 minutes when centre Joey Jones made a fine run down the right flank and passed inside. Hardie then forced his way over the line and, in spite of a determined effort to prevent the score, managed to touch down for Seahams seventh try of the day to take the scores to 39-10.

Jones almost scored his third try in as many matches when he took a Chris Bland pass 15 metres out and found himself in space with the try line beckoning. However, one of the Horden backs demonstrated remarkable pace to track him down and bundle him into touch a metre short.

Seahams backs appeared full of confidence by this stage and replacement centre Kelvin Bowdrey took a pass near halfway and breached the defence. Showing a remarkable turn of pace for his size, he then left the Horden backs for dead and crossed in the bottom right corner before touching down under the posts. John Dixons conversion attempt made it 46-10.

Andrew Baxter got in on the act on 65 minutes when he took a high ball near the halfway line and ran the ball past the stretched defence before scoring his first try of the season. Following the missed conversion, match referee Alan Irvine, having already consulted both captains, blew up early and Seaham celebrated their sixth consecutive victory.

Full Time: Horden III (10) SEAHAM (51)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching