Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South Tyneside College 7 - Seaham 37
Your News South Tyneside College 7 - Seaham 37

Even though Seaham travelled to Grosvenor Road in buoyant spirits on the back of a three win streak, even they couldnt have expected the game to pan out the way it did.

One of the College backs fumbled his catch from the kick off and following the resulting scrum, fly half Glen Hardie spotted a gap in the defence, kicked over the top and outstripped the opposition to secure the ball and dive over the line with 38 seconds on the clock. Graeme Steels conversion made it 7-0.

Hardie was almost the villain in the fourth minute when he made a high tackle and conceded a penalty on the edge of his 22, virtually in front of the posts. Unbelievably, the kick was fluffed by the College fly half and Seaham cleared their lines way upfield from the restart.

Seaham stretched their lead in the 11th minute after second row Grant Dixon was tackled high. Graeme Steel stepped up and coolly slotted the ball through the sticks for a 10-0 advantage.

Seahams pressure, allied to some uncharacteristic handling errors from the College, ensured that they enjoyed a monopoly of possession and they varied their play well with some crisp handling involving backs and forwards. Their efforts reaped dividends on 29 minutes; albeit in a rather contentious manner. A clumsy knock-on in front of the College posts was missed by referee Ray Coulthard but they played on and sprayed the ball left for Jack McCallum to touch down in the left corner and stretch the lead to 15-0.

Seaham passed the 20-point mark on the stroke of half-time when Dan Cahill broke away from a scrum and made good ground before offloading to Grant Dixon. He made a trademark bulldozing run up the flank before being tackled. Scrum half Brad Green recycled the ball and popped a lovely pass to Joey Jones and the left wing handed off his opposite number before touching down in the left corner for his second try in two games.

Half Time: South Tyneside College (0) SEAHAM (20)

Seaham maintained the ascendancy following the break with their front row of Gary Lynn, Andrew Baxter and Paul Scott in dominant form. They provided a rock solid platform for Brad Green and his youthful backline to play off. It wasnt all plain sailing for them however, as the College looked to battle their way back into the game. Their big outside centre made some strong runs but he was held in check by Seaham centres, Mark Wilson and Lee Phillips. One trademark tackle by Phillips saw the hosts centre stopped in his tracks with a solid hit, upended and stripped of possession.

The hosts appeared to find their lack of success frustrating and an element of cynicism began to creep into their game. Some solid pressure from Seahams dynamic back row trio of Bell, Ramshaw and Cahill took them desperately close to the College try line. They recycled and Grant Dixon took possession of the ball and charged for the line. Fortunately, he dipped just in time to avoid a swinging arm from the hosts number 8. Although the arm didnt connect, the referee adjudged that it was serious enough to warrant a yellow card and sent him to the sin-bin.

Seaham were awarded a penalty and opted for a scrum. Following several big drives that saw the hosts pack shunted over their line, Mr Coulthard awarded a penalty try and the visitors had their bonus point in the bag. Graeme Steels second conversion of the day on 28 minutes took the scores to 27-0.

With the cushion of a healthy lead, Seaham decided to make a few changes and introduced Matty Jackson into the front row to good effect. Young second row Chris Bland also entered the fray and threw his weight around. Kelvin Bowdrey also made a long-awaited comeback after fracturing his ankle in a pre-season training accident. Grizzled veteran Steve Meir took his place on the side of the scrum and added a stabilising influence on the game.

Hardie made another searing break that almost led to a 70th minute try; only to be tackled 15 metres in front of the posts. The ball was recycled well by Ramshaw and popped up for John Dixon, who stormed over for his third try of the season. Steels conversion was missed but the score was now 32-0.

Not to be outdone by his older brother, Grant Dixon added his name to the scoreboard following a breakdown move that saw Ramshaw turn possession over in Seahams favour and recycle through the hands of Green and Hardie before the big flanker bundled over for his third try of the season.

South Tyneside were determined not to get whitewashed at home and went all out for a consolation score. Seaham defended well but Brad Green saw yellow on 79 minutes for handling at a ruck. With the advantage of an extra man, the hosts pressed on and eventually scored when their prop bundled his way over the line for a converted try right at the death.

Full Time: South Tyneside College (7) SEAHAM (37)

Seahams chairman Neil Roseberry was delighted with the outcome and was quick to apportion credit...

From a Seaham perspective, that was a tremendous performance. South Tyneside College have proved something of a bogey team for us for a number of years now, so it feels lovely that our lads have came through here and won so emphatically.

John Whitehead, should take a lot of the accolades for todays performance because many of the moves he advocates in training were evident out there on the pitch. Weve known lean times for quite a few years so playing good rugby means a lot to us.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching