Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 20 - Seghill 8
Your News Seaham 20 - Seghill 8

Seghill arrived at Seaham Leisure Centre expecting a tough encounter and they werent to be disappointed. Recent encounters between the two sides had been close contests so all was set for an entertaining league fixture.

The opening stages of the game were fought out at a frantic pace with the Northumbrians working the phases and recycling possession well. Their efforts were rewarded after 7 minutes when referee Andy Wilson penalised Seaham for handling in the ruck and they found themselves 3-0 down.

Conceding a score seemed to kick-start the hosts into action and they came out fighting from the restart. Although they had struggled in the opening few scrums against a much more experienced Seghill pack, their eight knuckled down, reverted to type and concentrated on playing to their own strengths.

Seahams back row of Dan Cahill, Mark Wilson and skipper Ben Bell were in dominant form around the park and made huge impacts at the breakdown. Veteran Steve Wilkinson also carried the ball well and added his experience. The home pack began to exert their influence on the game and make good territorial gain. The lively half-back partnership of Brad Green and Glen Hardie provided plenty of quality possession for their threequarters and crash centre Graham Aldus made a big impact in attack and defence.

Seahams dynamic play took them deep inside the Seghill 22 following a long spell of dominance and they eventually forced the visitors into conceding a penalty. Mr Wilson had issued several warnings about preventing release at the breakdown area and eventually yellow-carded their full back for handling on the floor. Brad Smith slotted the resulting penalty to tie the scores at 3-3.

The hosts maintained their pressure and took the lead just before the half-hour mark when they were awarded a penalty on the edge of the Seghill 22. Full back Graeme Steel showed some initiative and took a quick tap before haring through several tackles and crossing in the right corner for his first try of the season. Green missed the conversion but Seaham still led 8-3.

Half Time: SEAHAM (8) Seghill (3)

Seahams full back also played a pivotal role in the next score of the match on 49 minutes. He caught a high ball on the run and eluded several tackles before putting a huge up and under kick into the Seghill 22. Dynamic flanker Dan Cahill made good ground and was there to secure Steels tap back. The ball was recycled and passed out to the left wing, where promising youngster Joey Jones crossed and touched down for his first try in senior rugby to put Seaham 13-3 ahead. The conversion was taken from an awkward angle by Green but missed narrowly.

The visitors hit back in the 56th minute when they carried the ball deep into Seahams half and recycled through numerous phases before their number 8 crossed in the left corner. The conversion was narrowly missed but Seaham retained their 13-8 lead.

Seaham coach Johnny Whitehead used his substitutes to good effect as the game wore on and ensured that their momentum was maintained. Promising you prop Matty Jackson made a solid impression in the set pieces and also carried efficiently in the loose; as did fellow front rowers Gary Lynn, Andrew Baxter and Paul Scott. The presence of fresh legs ensured that they enjoyed a healthy share of possession at the breakdown. They forced Seghill into transgressing on numerous occasions and they eventually saw yellow on 62 minutes when Mr Wilson sin-binned their influential blindside flanker for handling on the floor and preventing fair release.

Seaham took advantage of the extra man from the penalty and eventually made the pressure count with a third try of the day after 69 minutes. Wingers Ryan Giblin and Joey Jones handled cleverly before offloading to centre Stuart Tisseman, who crossed for his first try of the season to put his side 10 points ahead. Graeme Steel added the extras for a 20-8 lead going into the closing stages.

Although they showed plenty of enterprise in seeking a fourth try and a bonus point, some quality defence from Seghill held them at bay. Seahams eagerness to extend their lead actually led to them going a man down for the final six minutes of the game when fly half Glen Hardie was pinpointed for handling at a ruck and sent behind the posts.

Nevertheless, the hosts held their ground well throughout the dying stages and sought that elusive fourth try. They looked to have achieved this with the last play of the game when Joey Jones looked to take a scoring pass but was tackled early and fumbled the ball. The home supporters demanded a penalty try but Mr Wilson adjudged that the ball had merely been knocked forward by the Seaham winger and blew for time.

Full Time: SEAHAM (20) Seghill (8)

Seahams club chairman Neil Roseberry was delighted with the outcome of the game...

Although we had a few pivotal players missing today, I thought our lads stepped up to the plate and earned a solid and well-deserved win. I honestly cant remember the last time we registered three consecutive league victories, so we must be doing a lot of things right.

Although weve always been a forward dominated club, we are now looking to get our youthful backs into the game at every given opportunity. Johnny Whitehead deserves all of the plaudits for promoting this brand of exciting rugby. Added to the fact that weve made a few recent signings and have a new player-coach coming from Darlington Mowden Park over the next week or so, I think the future looks very bright indeed.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching