Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 18 - Sedgefield 16
Your News Seaham 18 - Sedgefield 16

Although once again plagued by injuries and cry-offs, Seaham were able to draw from a healthy pool of players to field a strong albeit experimental team. Those players not fortunate enough to make the match day squad of 20 were sporting enough to cheer their team mates on from the touchline along with a healthy band of supporters.

Sedgefield contributed well in a hard-fought match that saw Seaham endure difficulty maintaining their discipline. Two instances of petulance from Brad Green and Grant Dixon could well have cost them dear. Young scrum half Green voiced his opinion after his side were awarded a penalty and this led to it being reversed. Further dissent saw his team marched back a further 10 metres. The latter may well have led to a dismissal after fiery flanker Dixon threw the ball at an opponents head in a moment of madness. Fortunately, referee Frank Cruise deemed the indiscretion merely worthy of a penalty. As a result of Seaham's very poor discipline, Sedgefield's fly half had a field day with his kicking and hit the target each time to register three penalties and a conversion.

One of the more worrying points of the match was the loss of Andy Hogwood with a shoulder injury just before half time. The big second row damaged his rotator cuff and now faces a period of 8-10 weeks on the sidelines.

On a more positive note for Seaham, Glen Hardie had a majestic game in the unfamiliar role of fly half. He demonstrated some astute tactical kicking and distributed the ball well through hand. A brace of tries were a fitting reward for his efforts. John Dixon rounded off another strong performance in the centres with his third try of the season. Young wing Ryan Giblin had a dismal day with his conversion attempts but looked dangerous with the ball in hand. Flanker cum centre Mark Wilson tackled well and also made good ground on the offensive. Promising flanker Rob Ramshaw also made his presence felt in all aspects of play.

Seaham rode their luck in the closing stages of play and could well have paid the ultimate price when they conceded a penalty in the dying seconds. The hosts held their breath as the visitors's fly half took his kick but he fluffed his opportunity and the hosts were happy to hear the final whistle and celebrated their second win in as many league games.

Full Time: SEAHAM (18) Sedgefield (16)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching