Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Bill Beaumont cup news from the North
Your News Bill Beaumont cup news from the North

THREE tries by Fylde and England Counties wingman Oliver Brennand helped defending champions Lancashire to launch the defence of the Bill Beaumont Cup with an emphatic 46-12 victory over Warwickshire at Sedgley Park.

Brennand, one of eight men from the National League Two North winning side, claimed his opening try in the first minute as the champions hit the ground running, debutant Preston Grasshoppers wingman Tom Hughes on the other flank adding a second five minutes later to put Lancashire firmly in the driving seat.

Warwickshire refused to concede the struggle, however, and they replied with a try ten minutes later through centre Matt Goode, but hopes of a successful fightback by the visitors were quashed with two further Lancashire tries before half-time, Longton No 8 Gareth Rawlings and Brennand both touching down touching town to keep the Red Rose men in control.

Even then Warwickshire had a response with a try two minutes from the interval when Heath Stevens latched onto a Mike Walls grubber kick, but Lancashire established a commanding interval lead when Plymouth Albion fly-half Alex Davies landed a penalty on half-time to give his side a 27-12 advantage.

Lancashire then asserted themselves in the second half by adding a further three tries from Doncaster full-back Chris Briers, Brennand again and a penalty try two minutes from time.

Cheshire launched their campaign with an 18-10 win over Yorkshire at Sheffield RFC to repeat their success of last season and put the White Rose men under pressure from the off.

An exchange of penalties by Tom Foden (Birmingham Solihull), brother of England full-back Ben, and Richard Vasey (Caldy) opened the scoring before Foden landed a second penalty to put his side ahead again. Yorkshire collected their only try through wingman Curtis Wilson (Otley) that Vasey converted, but Cheshire took a 13-10 interval lead thanks to a try by Ed Stobart (Sale Jets) that Foden goaled.

Cheshire then claimed the only score of the second-half 10 minutes from time through Stockport centre Jamie Anthony which took the game out of Yorkshire’s reach.

“Cheshire managed to beat Yorkshire up front, which is a very rare occurrence,” said Cheshire Team Manager Dave Partington: “The senior players stood up to the challenge and the youngsters also played well. The key to success was the fact that the team gelled very quickly.

“We mentioned the importance of this beforehand and the team responded very well.”

The derby game in the Bill Beaumont Pool 2 at Tynedale always looked as though it might be a tense affair and so it proved as Northumberland got home 24-19 after holding out against a strong second-half display by the visitors.

Key to success for Northumberland was the fact that they scored in the first minute of each half. Tynedale left wing Alan Rogers crossed in the opening minute for Percy Park full-back Ashley Smith to convert. A try by Tynedale centre Tom Bramwell then eased Northumberland into a 12-0 lead and though Durham replied with a converted try by Billingham fly-half Joe Evans after 32 minutes, Rogers’ second try in the final minute of the half gave his side a 17-7 cushion going into the second-half.

When England Counties and Tynedale right wing Hamish Smales crossed 12 seconds after the restart, Smith converting, Northumberland were holding the whip hand at 24-7, but Durham were in no mood to concede and they mounted a powerful second-half revival that had the home side more than happy to hear the final whistle.

West Hartlepool centre Andrew Dixon, on as a replacement, then gave the Durham fightback some substance when he crossed for a converted try and with 10 minutes remaining, Blaydon wingman Frazer Wilson crossed for an unconverted try to set up a tense finale.

“Durham had the better of the second-half, so the final minutes were very tense,” said Northumberland’s Stuart Bainbridge: “Durham had the lion’s share of possession and they really did put us under pressure.

“It was a very tight game and I’m sure everyone in Northumberland was pleased to hear the whistle.”

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching