Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Washington 12 - Seaham 21
Your News Washington 12 - Seaham 21

Although they had withdrawn from league competition a week or two previously, Washington were happy to honour their obligations towards playing Seaham in a friendly at Biddick.

The visitors team had an experimental look about it as Coach Whitehead looked to try out a few options with future development in mind. Chris Bland, normally a centre, partnered his brother Michael in the second row and Stu Barrass had a run-out at number 8. Additionally, Stu Tisseman was tried out at full back with speed merchant Paul Atkinson partnering Glen Hardie in the centres and Johnny Gale occupying the right wing berth.

The game kicked off at a furious pace as both sides looked to gain the ascendancy. Seaham's scrum looked as solid as ever and this gave scrum half Brad Green every opportunity to get his hands on quality ball. Seaham had several opportunities to register scores only for handling errors to stifle their progress but Glen Hardie put matters right after 26 minutes. He took a pass in midfield and pinned his ears back to race away from the home defence before touching down to the left of the posts. Dave Davison's conversion took the lead to 7-0.

The lead was doubled several minutes later when Paul Atkinson picked up a loose ball in midfield and showed some blistering pace to outsprint everyone on the field and touch down under the posts. Davison's second conversion of the day stretched the score to 14-0 and the visitors looked good value for their lead.

In keeping with the good spirit of the game, Seaham helped Washington out when injuries took their toll. Having entered the game short of front row, grizzled veteran Colin Hall stepped up to take his place at tight-head prop. Then on the half-hour, Dan Cahill took to the field for the hosts and made an instant impact. The Vinnie Jones lookalike ran at the opposition and sucked in three defenders before setting up a ruck in front of the posts. With space either side of the sticks, the home scrum half spun left and sent his winger over for a try in the corner. An excellent touchline conversion narrowed the deficit to 14-7 with the interval nearing.

Half Time: Washington (7) SEAHAM (14)

Seaham's play seemed to hit a slump following the break and it needed the steadying influence of Steve Meir and Ray Wilkins to steady their nerves. Andrew Baxter began to enjoy some fine runs in midfield and, when the ball was passed out to him, Dean Armstrong looked a constant threat.

Following a prolonged period of to and fro, Seaham prop Gary Lynn received a popped pass from Ben Bell just inside the Washington 10 metre line. The burly youngster stuck his head down and charged forward, bumping would-be tacklers off as he bulldozed his way over for his first try of the season just before the hour. Davison's third successful conversion of the day took his side 21-7 ahead.

Seaham never really looked comfortable with a 14-point lead and semed to be doing their upmost to squander their advantage in an error strewn period of play. Andrew Baxter's throwing became very poor and Seaham were starved of one of their primary attacking weapons - a productive lineout.

With full time looming, Washington appeared the stronger of the sides and looked the most likely to register a score. With Seaham's defence having looked comfortable all day, they let themselves down at the very last and conceded a try in the right corner which reduced their lead to nine points. However, the conversion was missed with the last kick of the game and Alan Thompson blew time on a 21-12 local derby victory for Seaham.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching