Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Broadstreet 35 - Kenilworth 22
Your News Broadstreet 35 - Kenilworth 22

Broadstreet hosted local rivals Kenilworth on Saturday and, despite the large gap in league position, the Broadstreet team knew they had a hard battle ahead of them. Missing influential fly-half Cam Pimlow and number 8 Stewart Hendry through injury meant that Nick Thatcher had to fill-in at 10 whilst sun-tanned Nick Pratt moved back into the back-row. Mark Shropfer made his comeback for the 1st XV at scrum-half after his injury in the opening match of the season, whilst Dave Irvine makes his debut coming onto the bench for Tom Greevy who was running scared from Kenilworths Loose-head Matt Greevy, Toms younger brother.

Despite the pre-match hype the opening passages of the game were largely played out between each teams 22 with no one really threatening the try lines. However, 15 minutes in Broadstreet began to show their forward dominance by creating a maul off a lineout and pushing the Kenilworth pack behind their own line, however quick thinking from the Kenilworth scrum-half Renownden prevented a try when he rushed round and got underneath the ball before it could be placed down. A penalty awarded from the resulting pressure was easily converted by Stokes who resumed kicking duties in Pimlows absence. 3-0

27 minutes in the Kenilworth backline began to show their talent, Renownden broke initially feeding Mike Rust who injected some pace through the centre which allowed Matt Mountford a clear run at the line which he finished well. Adam Canning failed to convert 3-5

It is often said that forwards win games and backs decide by how much, and Broadstreets response was a fantastic example of how to remove the threat of Kenilworths talented back line. Street forwards led by powerful runs from former K Ben Dawes bulldozed their way back up the pitch setting up field position for another catchndrive from a lineout, this time Nigel Mukarati made no mistake in touching the ball down for a try. Tom Stokes missed the conversion 8-5

With 5 minutes to go before half-time Gary Challis and Dave Clements were sin binned for handbags before both sets of forwards, who were waiting for a lineout to happen, had even realised there had been a fight. Adam Canning missed a penalty shortly before Broadstreet retaliated with their own back-line move which created enough space for Tom Stokes to bag his 5th try of the season, when he hit the wide ball at pace and gassed his opposite number. His subsequently converted his try from the corner. 15-5

Half Time 15-5

Stokes scored another penalty directly after half-time after Matty Fielder had earned some field position with an interception. However, it was Kenilworth who registered the first try of the half when Mountford and Rust once again managed to penetrate the Street backline before feeding Dave Clements to score. 18-12

Stokes continued his excellent kicking display adding further punishment to Adam Canning after he was penalised for a hot-headed retaliation which could have earned him a yellow. However, Canning nullified this advantage with 15 minutes to go after hooker Ciaran Price was binned after consistent foul play from Street. 21-15

Mukarati scored his 2nd of the match after another powerful carry by Ben Dawes attracted enough defenders for scrum-half Shropfer to snipe round the side of the ruck, this allowed Mukarati to crash over from the resulting ruck. With 5 minutes to go Street were handed the 4-try-bonus point win when a Kenilworth attacking move was carelessly put to floor which was sharply pounced upon by Brett Chatwin who sprinted 70 metres to score under the posts. Tom Stokes converted the extra points. 35-15

Kenilworth stalwart Renownden deservedly had the last word when his snipe from a ruck outside the 22 earned him a try in the last play of the game to round off his excellent performance. 35-22

MotM Ben Dawes

DotD Gary Challis

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching