Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seaham 32 - Washington 5
Your News Seaham 32 - Washington 5

Prior to this much anticipated local derby match, Washington had voiced their concerns about playing numbers; particularly in the front row. However, much to their credit, Neil Youngs men arrived at the Leisure Centre with a full team. Seaham had previously offered to loan their guests a player or two but they decided to plod on and make a game of it.

Grizzled veteran fly half Dave Davison had stated, prior to the game, that he intended to retire after the final whistle due to the combined handicaps of old age and knee problems; amongst other things. With this in mind, he looked to make a lasting impression and go out on a high.

Seaham looked to build on their strengths from the onset with their pack putting the squeeze on their lesser experienced opponents. Phoenix from the ashes hooker Rob Ramshaw was in the middle of everything as he ushered his troops forward. The momentum they built from the first kick was eventually rewarded in the 11th minute when Dan Cahill took a pass from a tap penalty and drove over the line for his first try of the season. The dynamic number 8 doubled his quota eleven minutes later when his pack drove the Washington eight over their own line and he touched down for a pushover try. This time Dave Davison added the extras for a 12-0 lead.

The experienced fly half, enjoying the dying embers of a lucrative career, bossed the midfield and orchestrated some fine moves. Seahams big second rows were actively involved in many of the moves and punched some huge holes in the visitors defence. Unfortunately, handling errors and brave defence at the breakdown by the Newtowners stifled many of their efforts.

Washington absorbed their hosts pressure bravely and also gave a good account of themselves on the counter-attack. They looked dangerous flying down the flanks but some sterling tackling by Seahams back row trio of Grant Dixon, Ben Bell and Dan Cahill held them at bay. Rookie winger Dean Armstrong also did his claims for a regular starting spot much credit with some jinking runs on the attack and solid hits in defence.

The last major incident of note occurred in the 38th minute when seasoned prop Dave Drinkwater entered a ruck from the side and was yellow-carded by referee Mick Hodgson for his troubles. Bright young prospect Matt Jackson was brought on to replace him at the coalface and added instant stability.

Half Time: SEAHAM (12) Washington (0)

Seaham picked up the tempo from the restart and registered their third try of the day when Dave Davison chinked through a gap in the visitors defence to go over in the left corner. His touchline conversion attempt was missed due to the narrow angle but the lead was stretched to 17-0.

Speedy centre Stuart Tisseman complemented a solid midfield performance just before the hour when he found himself on the end of a sweeping backs move, courtesy of some fine handling by scrum half Brad Green, full back Andrew Baxter and crash centre Chris Bland, and crossed the line for the bonus point try in the right hand corner. Once again, the conversion was missed but Seaham looked good value for their 22 point advantage.

Promising youngster Matthew Lowery was brought on for Dean Armstrong on the wing and Neil Howard replaced a tiring Paul Scott in the front row in time for the restart. In spite of the disruptions amongst their ranks, Seaham continued to press forward and look towards building a good score.

The fifth try was registered after 63 minutes when Grant Dixon, playing a fine game at blindside flanker, received a fine swift pass from his sniping scrum half Brad Green and barged his way over in the bottom left hand corner to put his team 27-0 ahead.

Steve Meir replaced young Dixon three minutes after his try and made an instant impact. The fiery flanker rampaged around the field like a man half his age and played in vital part in the sixth try of the day, which saw young Jack McCallum pin his ears back and hare over in the left corner for his second try of the day.

Although the hosts were briefly invigorated by the inclusion of Austin OMalley on the wing, they conceded a score on the opposite flank when Washingtons elusive left winger evaded several tackles and crossed the line for a consolation score with virtually the final touch of the match.

Full Time: SEAHAM (32) Washington (5)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching